Vol. III - Appendix D
The Children of James Catt and Hannah Barton
Hannah Barton was born on 25 December 1812, the daughter of John Barton and Catherine Keeley (Chapter 2). She was baptised on 7 February 1813 at Heathfield Independent Chapel.
Hannah Barton married James Catt on 23 June 1832 at Herstmonceux Parish Church.
James Catt had been born on 17 January 1812 and baptised on 8 May at Heathfield Independant Chapel. he was the son of John and Mary Catt. His parents are believed to be John Catt and Mary Henty who married on 2 October 1806 at Warbleton. This would mean he was the brother of Stephen Catt who married Hannah's sister Ann on 31 March 1834 at Herstmonceux (Appendix C).
James and Hannah had five children:
- Ann Catt. Born 30 May 1834. Baptised 29 June 1834 at Heathfield Independent Church.
- Sarah Catt. Born 28 January 1837. Baptised 5 March 1837 at Heathfield Independent Church.
- John Catt. Born 1840
- Jane Catt. Born 25 April 1842. Baptised 26 January 1845 at Warbleton
- Frances Catt. Born 1844. Baptised 26 January 1845 at Warbleton.
Nothing more is known about Ann Catt, Sarah Catt or John Catt, but a little is known about Jane and Frances which is detailed below:
- Jane Spray nee Catt
In 1861 James and Hannah's daughter Jane Catt was an 18 year old house servant living with and working for Abraham, a 44 year old widower, a coach plater, and his family at 58 Edward Street, Brighton.
By 1871 she was a housekeeper to Edmond Spray, a 44 year old widower, farm labourer and his five children at Magnam Down. the census notes the Jane was "lame from fall".
Jane married Edmund Spray on 14 June 1873 at Hailsham (Reg Gen June 1873 Hailsham 2b 173). Edmund was a widower, a labourer, son of James Spray, farmer. Both were of full age.
In 1881 Edmond and Jane are living at Magnum Down. All of Edmond's children from his first marriage had left home, but the children listed are:
- Fanny A Spray. Aged 9 at the time that the census was taken, Fanny would appear to have been born out of wedlock and the birth of Fanny Augustus Catt is registered in 1871 (Reg Gen Sept 1871 Hailsham 2b 71)
- Edith Spray. Born 5 September 1874
- Annie Spray. Born 5 September 1874
- Rhoda Spray. Born 17 June 1878
- Edmund Spray. Born 1880, he was 8 months old at the time that the 1881 census was taken. Edmund died in 1887.
Jane is described in the census as "crippled".
In 1891, the family are still at Magnum Down, but of the children, only Edith and Annie are listed. In 1901, Edmund, now 74 is shown as a market gardener and only daughter Rhoda is listed. In 1911 they are living at Gladridge Lane, Hailsham. Edmund, aged 84 is described as a market gardener (infirm) and old age pensioner. He and Jane had been married 37 years and had 5 children, 1 of whom had died. Daughter Rhoda Spray is living with them, still single, aged 32 she gives her occupation as a cook. Also living with them is Daisy Edith Ethel French, their 12 year old granddaughter (see below).
Jane Spray died in 1912. Edmund Spray died in 1915.
In 1891 Edmund and Jane's daughter Fanny Spray may have been living and working as a cook for John O Snelling, a retired wine merchant and his family at 3 Burlington Place, Eastbourne. Nothing more is known about her.
Edmund and Jane's daughter Annie Spray married John Jenner in 1895 (Reg Gen Sept 1895 Hailsham 2b 197). In 1939 they were living at 4 Durnday Cottages, and John was a farm labourer. Annie Jenner died in 1956.
Edmund and Jane's daughter Edith married James Oliver French in 1897. In 1901 they were living at Magnum Down where 24 year old James was a "labourer in a corn store". In 1911 they were living at Rose Cottage, Magnum Down and 35 year old James was a market gardener. They had six children
- Daisy Edith Ethel French. Born 1899.
- Dora Gertrude French. Born 1900. Dora married Henry G Gingell in 1919. Dora died in 1949,
- George Oliver French. Born 22 September 1903. George married Edith May Southouse in 1929. In 1939 were living at Sandibanks Cottages, Hailsham with their son. George was a jobbing gardener. He died in 1985 in Eastbourne. Edith died in 2002.
- Frederick Charles French. Born 1907. Frederick married Ellen Elizabeth Southouse in 1930, George's wife's sister. In 1939 they were living at Harebeating Farm, Hailsham with their two sons. Ellen died in 1989 in Worthing. Frederick Charles French of 59 Preston Road, East Preston, Littlehampton died on 26 December 1992 at Russington in Sussex.
- Ivy Olive French. Born 11 January 1909. Ivy married Sidney C Cook in 1960. Sidney died in 2000 and Ivy in 2001 in Eastbourne.
- Clifford H French. Born 7 August 1912.
In 1939 James and Edith were living at Rose Cottage, Magnum Down where James was a general labourer. Their daughter Ivy, a domestic servant and son Clifford H French, described as "deaf and dumb" were still at home. Edith French of Rose Cottage, Magnum Down (wife of James Oliver French) died on 8 January 1953. Probate was granted to James Oliver French, retired council roadman. James Oliver French, otherwise James Olave French of Rose Cottage, Magnum Down died on 28 December 1957. Probate was valued at £1,330. 14s. 11d.
Edmund and Jane's daughter Rhoda Spray was still living with her parents in 1911. Rhoda married Harry Akehurst in 1919. In 1939 they were living at Gun Hill Post Office, Horam where Harry was a general farm labourer. Rhoda is described as "incapacitated". Rhoda Akehurst died in 1943.
- Frances Burgess nee Catt
In 1861, James and Hannah's daughter Frances Catt, aged 16, may have been a general servant working for Samuel Dallaway, miller at the Mill House, Herstmonceux, alternativelty this may have been her cousin (see above).
The 1911 census shows that Frances had married Trayton Thomas Burgess in 1862, but I cannot find a record of the marriage.
In 1871 they were living at Panhurst, Dallington and "Thomas" was an agricultural labourer. Their first two children had been born. They were still at the same address in 1881 and a further four children had been born. Frances and Trayton had six children:
- Trayton Burgess. Born 28 May 1863 in Warbleton
- Mary Anne Burgess. Born 1867 in Warbleton
- Harriett J Burgess. Born 1871 in Dallington. Strangely the only baptism I can find is for Harriett Jane Burgess baptised on 29 October 1871 at Dallington. The transcript shows she is the daughter of Trayton Edward Burgess and Mary Ann Burgess. Has this been mis transcribed?
- John Henry Burgess. Born 30 January 1873 at Dallington. Baptised 20 April 1873 at Warbleton.
- William Henry Burgess. Born 1 March 1875 in Dallington. Baptised 27 June 1875 in Warbleton.
- Charles Burgess. Born 19 December 1877 in Dallington. Baptised 21 April 1878 in Warbleton.
By 1891 the family had moved to Warbleton where Trayton was still working as an agricultural labourer. as were sons John and William. Eldest son Trayton is not listed. By 1901 they were living in Cade Street, Heathfield and Trayton is described as a poultry labourer as is son William. "Charlie" is a poultry dealer working on his own account.
In 1911 Trayton and Frances are living alone at Chapel Lane, Heathfield. Trayton, although 70 years old is still a farm labourer. The census shows they had seven children, of which six survived. Trayton T Burgess died later that same year. Frances Burgess died 10 years later in 1921.
Trayton and Frances's son, Trayton married Emily Louisa Parsons in 1886. In 1891 they were living at Three Cups and Trayton was an agricultural labourer. In 1900 Trayton is listed in British Service appointment books as a postman in Eastbourne. In 1901 they were living at Fishers Farm, Staplehurst and Trayton is a poultry labourer. He is listed in 1909 Kelly's directory as a "tent and marquee mas" from Warbleton! The first World War service records show his son William (see below) had enlisted. He gives his father as next of kin and his address as Fishers Farm, Staplehurst. In 1911 they were still at Fishers Farm, but two of their children, Mary Jane Burgess and William were patients in an unknown hospital in Loose, Kent. No details of their ailments are recorded. Trayton and Frances had nine children :
- Fanny Parsons. Born (out of wedlock) 1886 in Warbleton
- George Burgess. Born 1889 in Warbleton. In 1911 George may have been a wood sawyer, boarding in New Romney.
- Thomas Trayton Burgess. Born 5 March 1890 in Warbleton. Thomas married Amy Minnie Nunn in 1929. Thomas died in 1956 in Maidstone. Amy died on 25 December 1974 in Sittingbourne, Kent.
- Mary Jane Burgess, Born 14 September 1898 in Warbleton. Mary Jane married Norman Cecil Buss in 1925. In 1939 they were living at Iron Latch Gate Farm and Mary's father was living with them. Norman Cecil Buss died in 1986 in Eastbourne and was cremated on 18 March 1896 in Kent. Mary Jane Buss died in 1994 and was buried on 20 October 1994 in Kent.
- William Walter Burgess. Born 29 December 1899 in Warbleton. As above, he enlisted for World War I. Walter married Annie Rose Joyce Rolfe in 1932. In 1939 they were living at Glassenbury Lodge Green where William was a woodman. William Walter Burgess died in 1977 in Tonbridge, Kent. Annie Rose Joyce Burgess of 2 Malcolm Cottages, Goughurst died on 23 February 1980 at Goughurst, Kent.
- John Henry Burgess. Born 1902 in Staplehurst, Kent.
- Bessie Emily Burgess. Born 14 April 1904 in Staplehurst, Kent. Bessie married George William Groombridge in 1927 in Maidstone. In 1939 they were living at Greewoods Farm where George was a tractor driver and shepherd. Bessie was a land worker. there may be two children listed, but one entry is closed. Bessie Emily Groombridge of Springdene Farm, Blackboys, Uckfield died on 9 March 1981. George William Groombridge of Anne of Cleves, Cross in Hand, Heathfield died on 16 April 1985.
- Lilly Annie Burgess. Born 1907 in Staplehurst, Kent.
- Noreen Eddie Burgess. Born 1910 in Staplehurst, Kent
Emily Louisa Burgess of Fishers Farm, Staplehurst, Kent (wife of Trayton Burgess) died on 22 March 1929. In 1939, Trayton, a retired farmer he was living at Iron Latch Gate Farm, Punnetts Town, Heathfield with his son in law and daughter, Norman C Buss, farmer and his wife Mary. Trayton Burgess died on 11 September 1948.
Trayton and Frances' daughter Mary Anne Burgess married William Elam Ellis in 1888. In 1891 they were living at Blenheim Road, New Romney with their eldest son. William was a carpenter and joiner. In 1901 they were living at 4 West View, New Romney, William was a builder and four further children had been born. In 1911 they were living at Colan House, New Romney and their two youngest children had been born: .
- Thomas Ellis. Born 1889 in Eastbourne Thomas married Marguerite Kathleen Clay in 1913. Thomas Ellis of Wysteria, New Romney died on 31 January 1920 in New Romney. Marguerita Kathleen Ellis of Wysteria, Lydd Road, died on 13 February 1954 at 35 Great Elms Road.
- Elam Ellis. Born 22 April 1893 at New Romney. Elam married Edith May Palmer in 1913. In 1939 they were living in Drewfield, New Romney and Elam was a builder. They had at least one son. Edith May Ellis of Drewfield, New Romney died on 6 May 1949. Elam Ellis of Drewfield, Lydd Road, New Romney died on 31 August 1986 aged 93 years old..
- Ellen Ellis. Born 22 September 1895 at New Romney. Ellen married Charles William Frederick Everitt in 1917. In 1939 they were living at Fighaldean, Romney Marsh where Charles was a motor and electrical engineer. It appears he served in the RAF during the 2nd World War. Charles William Frederick Everitt died on 19 May 1981. Ellen Everitt of 105, St Georges Drive, Carpenders Park, Watford died on 19 December 1985.
- William Ellis. Born 1900 in Romney Marsh. Died 1901 in Romney Marsh.
- Lillian Frances Ellis. Born 26 January 1903 in New Romney. Lillian married Benjamin Henry Parsons in 1949. Benjamin Henry Parsons of Golan House, New Romney died on 1 April 1972 and was buried on 6 April 1972. Lillian died on 11 August 2003 aged 100 at Memories, Coast Drive, Folkestone. She was buried on 22 August 2003.
- Charles Ellis. According to the 1911 census he was born around 1905 and the birth of a Charles Ellis was registered in Romney Marsh in the March Quarter 1905. Other researchers have suggested that Charles married Emily May Jarman in 1928 in Romney Marsh, but the 1939 register shows this Charles has a birthdate of 15 December 1903 living at Royston Villa, New Romney. A Charles Ellis, born 15 December 1904, died on 20 July 1970 in Dover and was buried on 25 July 1970 in New Romney. Emily May Ellis of Windy Ridge, Tookey Road, New Romney died on 3 February 1977.
In 1939, William and Mary Ann were living at Golan House, New Romney. William was a building contractor. Only daughter Lillian remained at home. William Elam Ellis died on 26 July 1941 and was buried at New Romney on 30 July 1941. Probate was granted to Elam Ellis builder and Ebenezer Ellis, retired builder. Mary Anne Ellis died in 1949 in Folkestone.
Assuming she is Trayton and Frances' daughter Harriett Jane Burgess married Harry Morley on 18 April 1893 at Warbleton. In 1901 they were living at No 2 Landsdowne Road, Canterbury. Harry, aged 36 was a gardener. They had four children
- Edith Anitta Morley. Born 10 August 1894 in Eastbourne
- Mabel Phoebe Morley. Born 1896 in Cosham, Hampshire. Baptised 11 June 1899 in Hastingleigh, Kent.
- William Henry Morley. Born 1899 in Eythorne, Kent. Baptised 11 June 1899 at Hastingleigh, Kent. William possibly married Winifred Jones on 26 May 1928 at Holy Trinity, Guildford. However the marriage certificate describes William a 27 year old bachelor, an engineer, the son of Harry Morley "of the Indian Ordinance Department"!
- Ernest Edward Morley. Born 1900 in Alkham, Kent. Baptised 26 August 1900 at River, Kent.
The family certainly seem to have moved around. In 1911 they were living at Shepherds Cottages, South Park, Penshurst, Kent. The census shows that they had had five children, one of whom had died. Harry is now a cowman and shepherd on a farm. Harriett J Morley died in 1942 in Ashford, Kent. Harry Morley died in 1943 in Bromley, Kent.
Trayton and Frances' son John Henry Burgess married Sophia Robins in 1895. In 1901 they were living in the Cottages, Punnetts Town, Heathfield where John was a poulters labourer. They had four children
- Nellie Burgess. Born 15 May 1895 in Heathfield. Nellie married Robert Rowlands Robins in 1924. In 1939 they were living at Ivy Glen, Hailsham where Robert was a general labourer. Nellie Robins died in 1967. Robert Rowlands Robins of Ivy Glen, Punnetts Town, Heathfield died on 12 March 1971.
- Reginald Burgess. Born 1897 in Heathfield.
- Archie Redvers Burgess. Born 4 December 1900 in Punnetts Green. Archie joined the Royal Navy first serving on the Ganges on 9 June 1916 and last serving on Victory I on 12 November 1918. Archie married Annie Fitzgerald in 1924. In 1939 they were living at Farm Cottages, Worthing where Archie was a poultry foreman. The register notes that Archie was invalided out of the navy. Archie Revers Burgess of Honeysuckle Lane, High Salvington, Worthing died on 14 December 1979
- Ronald John Burgess. Born 7 July 1906 at Warbleton. Ronald married Ellen Brook in 1933. In 1939 they were living at Earls Lodge, Hailsham and Ronald was a poultry farmer. . Ellen Burgess died in 1981 in Eastbourne. Ronald John Burgess died in 1993.
By 1911 John had been widowed, Sophia having died on 20 February 1910. John was living at Frost Cottages, Warbleton where he was "a chicken fattener working on his own account". His 15 year old daughter Nellie is described as "assisting chicken work" and 13 year old Reginald is a labourer. John remarried in 1924. His second wife was Laura Emla Catt. Her parentage is unknown. In 1939 John and Laura were Glencoe, Hailsham. John is described as an agricultural labourer. John Henry Burgess of Glencoe, Punnetts Town, Heathfield died on 30 June 1954. Probate was granted to his wife Laura. Laura Emla Burgess of Glencoe, Punnetts Town Heathfield died on 1 September 1957 at 17 Upper Maze Hill Street, St Leonards-on-Sea. Probate was granted to Nellie Robins, married woman and Reginald John Burgess, painter
Trayton and Frances son William Henry Burgess married Matilda Crouch on 11 April 1901 at Heathfield. In 1911 they were living at Greenwoods, Punnett Town, Heathfield where William was a farm labourer. Three children are listed
- Annie Crouch, stepdaughter. Born 1896 in Warbleton.
- William Denis Burgess. Born 13 June 1901 in Warbleton. William married Ethel Phyliss Harmer in 1932. William died in 1977. Ethel Phyliss Burgess died in 2005.
- Bessie Burgess. Born 3 November 1902 in Warbleton. Bessie Burgess never married and died in 1980.
William H Burgess died on 25 November 1921, aged 46 years old. In 1939 Matilda Burgess was living at Ramleh, Battle. Daughter Bessie was living with her and was working as a drapers assistant. Matilda Burgess never remarried and died in 1970, aged 95 years old.
Finally Trayton and Frances' son Charles Burgess married Caroline Jane Baker on 17 October 1901 at Heathfield. In 1911 they were living Charles and Caroline were living at Beaconsfield Cottage, Heathfield. They had six children:
- Mabel Kate Burgess. Born 21 July 1902 in Heathfield. Baptised 19 October 1902 at St Michaels (later St Gabriel), Essex. Mabel married Owen George Hales on 19 December 1925 at Epsom Parish Church. Owen was a 60 year old widower, a chauffeur whereas Mabel was just 23 years old!!. Owen George Hales died in 1930. Mabel remarried in 1932. Her second husband Robert Leslie Cook was more of her own age. In 1939 they were living at 18 Wandle Road, Beddington. They had two daughters. Mabel Kate Cook died in 1986. Robert Leslie Cook of 114 Bruce Street, Swindon died on 17 September 1989.
- Charles Frederick Burgess. Born 25 September 1904 at Clish Hole, Warbleton. Baptised 27 November 1904 at Heathfield. Charles married Ethel Grace Burdock on 16 April 1927 at Fareham Registry Office. In 1939 they were living at 63 Roundhill Way, Guildford and Charles was a "roller driver". Ethel Grace Burgess died on 22 December 1979 in Guildford. Charles Frederick Burgess died on 22 August 1989 in Guildford.
- Ivy May Burgess. Born 6 January 1908 in Heathfield. Ivy married Albert Ernest Ranger in 1930 in East Ashford, Kent. They had at least one daughter. In 1939 they were living at 6 Norwood Close, Guildford and Albert was a tractor driver, noted 'heavy work'. Albert Ernest Ranger of 6 Norwood Close, Effingham died on 5 December 1971. Ivy May Ranger of 10 Norwood Close, Effingham died on 19 April 1995.
- Sidney John Burgess. Born 26 July 1911 in Hailsham. Sidney married Olive Grace Atkins in 1930 in Cuckfield. In 1939 they were living in Nether Walstead Cottages, Lindfield and Sidney was a chauffeur. Sidney John Burgess of 1 Cannan Crescent, Chobham died on 3 November 1969. Olive Grace Burgess died in 1998.
- Stanley George Burgess. Born 25 January 1915 at Dorking. In 1935 Stanley married Margaret Duncan Dickson. They had at least one daughter. In 1939 they were living at 18 Banstead, Surrey where Stanley was a taxi cab driver. Stanley George Burgess died in 1980. Margaret Duncan Burgess died in 2003.
- Lilian Maud Burgess. Born 9 March 1918 in Dorking. Lilian married Ronald William James Watt in 1939. At the time the register was taken they were living at No 4 Broad Street, Guildford, Surrey and Ronald was post office engineer but also in the Royal Scots Guards army reserve. Ronald William James Watt of 29A Walden Cottages, Normandy, Guildford died on 19 January 1976. Lilian Maud Burgess died on 8 November 2014.
In 1939 Charles and Caroline were living at 63, Roundhill Way, Guildford (with son Charles and his wife) where Charles Senior was a poultry worker and farm labourer, described as heavy work. Charles Burgess died in 1961 in Effingham, Surrey. Caroline Jane Burgess died on 4 July 1967 at Sutton, Surrey.