Vol.III - Appendix L
The Children of William Elphick and Rhoda Barton
Rhoda Barton was born in 1860 (Reg Gen June Qtr 1860 Hailsham 2b 63), the daughter of James Barton and Orpha Crowhurst (Chapter 3).
On 18 May 1878, aged 18 she married William Elphick at St John's Church Bodel Street Green. William Elphick aged 20 was the son of William Elphick. The witnesses were Jane Reed and John H Barton, Rhoda's sister and brother (Reg Gen June Qtr 1878 Hailsham 2b 160).
William and Rhoda had four children:
- Ernest Henry Elphick. Born 8 July 1878. Baptised 4 August 1878 at Bodle Street
- Edith Mary Elphick, Born 3 September 1880. Baptised 1880 at Bodle Street
- William Charles Elphick. Baptised 1884 at Bodle Street.
- Robert Augustus Elphick. Born 16 September 1886 in Herstmonceux.
The following is known about their children:
Ernest Henry Elphick and Elizabeth Sophia Parker.
Ernest Henry Elphick was born on 8 July 1878 and baptised on 4 August 1878 at Bodle Street, the son of William and Rhoda Elphick.
Ernest Henry Elphick married Elizabeth Sophia Parker in 1903 in Eastbourne.
In 1911 they were living at Gardener Street, Herstmonceux. Ernest aged 32 states his occupation is a "county carrier".James Creighton, 16 years old, an assistant carrier is boarding with them.
In 1939 they were living at 155, Seaside, Eastbourne and Ernest was a butchers assistant. There are no children listed.
Ernest H Elphick died in 1952 in Eastbourne.
Elizabeth Sophia Elphick died on 28 August 1953 at Eastbourne.
Edith Mary Pilbeam nee Elphick
Edith Mary Elphick was born on 3 September 1880 and baptised that same year at Bodle Street, the daughter of William and Rhoda Elphick.
Edith married Thomas James Pilbeam in 1904 in Hailsham.
In 1911 they were living at Gardners Street, Herstmonceux and 32 year old Thomas was a grocers warehouseman.
They had two children:
- Sidney Thomas Pilbeam. Born 5 March 1905 in Herstmonceux
- Doris May Pilbeam. Born 8 March 1910 in Herstmonceux
In 1939 they were living at 22 Whittey Road, Eastbourne where Thomas was a retired superintendant, of what isn't clear. Both children remained at home, son Sidney was a "pipeworks clerk"?
Edith Mary Pilbeam died in 1960 in Eastbourne.
Thomas James Pilbeam of 22 Whitely Road, Eastbourne died on 11 February 1964 at St Mary's Hospital, Eastbourne. Probate was granted to Sidney Thomas Pilbeam, hospital porter and Doris May Pilbeam, spinster
Their son, Sidney Thomas Pilbeam of 22 Whitely Road, Eastbourne died in 1986. Probate states last seen alive on 1 February 1986, body found on 3 February 1986 in Eastbourne.
Their daughter, Doris May Pilbeam appears to have never married and had died in 1983 in Eastbourne.
William Charles Elphick.
William Charles Elphick was baptised in 1884 at Bodle Street, son of William and Rhoda Elphick.
In 1911 William was living with his parents at St Dunstans, Heathfield, aged 27 he was working on his fathers farm.
William may have died in 1914, aged 31 years old.
Robert Augustus Elphick and Eliza Grace Swadling.
Robert Augustus Elphick was born on 16 September 1886 in Herstmonceux, son of William and Rhoda Elphick.
Robert married Eliza Grace Swadling in 1909.
In 1911 they were living in Gardner Street, Herstmonceux where 24 year old Robert was a general labourer.
In 1930 Kelly's Directory indicates that Robert Augustus Elphick was a beer retailer in Punnetts Green, Heathfield.
In 1939 Robert and Eliza were living at Recona, Hailsham. Robert was a postman. Their daughter Lily was stlll living with them and was a poultry packer. It appears that they had two daughters:
- Cecily Rose Elphick. Born 11 April 1912. Cecily married Oliver Avard in 1933. In 1939 they were living at Willeth Farm, Warbleton where Oliver was a smallholder and a poultry fattener. Oliver Avard of Willetts Farm, Warbleton died on 1 November 1980. Cicely Rose Avard of Ascot, Spring Hill, Punnetts Town, Hailsham died on 29 October 1988.
- Lily Margaret Elphick. Born 26 January 1917. LiIy married Horace Richard Hawkeswood in 1941. Horace Richard Hawkeswood died in August 1985. Lily Margaret Hawkeswood of 309 Birchfield Road, Redditch died on 23 February 1986.
Robert Augustus Elphick of Reema, Heathfield died on 23 October 1951 at The Princess Alice Hospital, Eastbourne. Probate was granted to Eliza Grace Elphick, widow.
Eliza Grace Elphick of Reema, Heathfield died on 30 September 1960 at The Princess Alice Hospital, Eastbourne. Probate was granted to Cicely Rose Avard (wife of Oliver Avard) and Lily Margaret Hawkeswood (wife of Horace Richard Hawkeswood).