Wetmore's of Hill
Our line is directly descended from Hester Wetmore who married Henry Ponting of Berkeley on 22 June 1809 in Hill. She was my great x 4 grandmother (Chapter 3)
Much of the information which follows has come from the "Scribes Alcove" an excellent website listing parish records for a small number of parishes around Thornbury., which regrettably is no longer with us.
Thomas Wetmore and Sarah Burroughs
The earliest generation traced so far is Thomas Wetmore was born in 1709. A Thomas Wetmore son of John Wetmore was baptised on 13 August 1709 in Frocester, Gloucestershire. He is believed to have been the son of John Wetmore and Sarah, who were both born around 1680.
On 12 December 1732 he married Sarah Burroughs at Rockhampton.
Sarah is believed to have been born around 1696. She had been married previously. Her first husband had been James Burroughs who had been born in 1695 and was buried on 31 October 1730 at Rockhampton. They had three daughters
- Sarah Burroughs. Baptised in February 1725 at Rockhampton. Buried 17 July 1728 at Rockhampton
- Hannah Burroughs. Baptised 16 September 1727 at Rockhampton. Died 16 September 1727 and was buried 19 September 1727 at Rockhampton.
- Ann Burroughs. Baptised 20 January 1730 at Rockhampton. Ann married Samuel Leonard of Thornbury on 12 April 1757 at Stone. She died 1758 in Cam.
It is believed that Thomas Wetmore and Sarah Burroughs had two sons
- Thomas Wetmore. Born 1734
- John Wetmore. Baptised 20 October 1736 at Rockhampton
Sarah Wetmore died on 5 March 1754 aged 55. Thomas Wetmore of this parish died on 29 July 1785, aged 74. They share a grave at Rockhampton Parish Church.
Their son Thomas Wetmore married Elisabeth Perrett on 23 December 1756 at Hill (Bishops transcripts)
Their son, John Wetmore of Hill married Elizabeth Cox of Rockhampton on 27 June 1771 at Rockhampton. The witnesses were Thos Nelmes and M Cox.
Hester Ponting nee Wetmore was the great granddaughter of Thomas and Sarah through their son Thomas Wetmore, but much has been discovered about the descendants of both their sons. I have therefore split Appendix I into two parts
- The descendants of Thomas Wetmore and Elisabeth Perrett
- The descendants of John Wetmore and Elizabeth Cox
Part 1 covers with what is known about Thomas Wetmore and his descendants and
Part 2 covers what is known about John Wetmore and his descendants.
Although John's descendants are even more distant of cousins, they are of interest for the marriages they made. At least one of John's grandchildren married into the Ponting