VOL. IV - APPENDIX D
Thomas Cornford and Margaret Patterson
Thomas Cornford married Margaret Patterson on 27 April 1793 at St Nicholas Church, Brighton. At the time he was a private in the Sussex Regiment Of Militia.
They had a son William Cornford born on 18 July 1810 and baptised on 26 August 1810 at St. Peters Church, Bexhill (see below).
William Cornford and Mary Payn
William Cornford was born on 18 July 1810. He was baptised on 26 August 1810 at St. Peters Church, Bexhill, son of Thomas and Margaret Cornford.
William married Mary Payn on 29 June 1832 at Ewhurst Parish Church.
They are believed to have had at least three children:
- Margaret Cornford. Born 1 May 1835. Baptised 31 May 1835 at Wadhurst Parish
- Thomas Cornford. Baptised 17 October 1841 at Warbleton Parish Church.
- Miriam Ann Cornford. Baptised 1 September 1850 at Warbleton Parish Church.
By 1881 William had been widowed. Aged 70 he still gives his occupation as a shoemaker. He was living at Hooe with his daughter Miriam and her family (see below)
William Cornford died on in 1888 aged 78 (Reg Gen June Qtr 1888 Hailsham 2b 59).
Our line continues through their daughter Margaret Cornford (see below).
The following is known about Margaret's brother and sister:
- Thomas Cornford and Mary Ann Avard.
William and Mary's son Thomas Cornford married Mary Ann Avard in 1863 (Reg Gen Sept Qtr 1863 Hailsham 2b 113)
In 1871 they were living at Princetown, Heathfield where 28 year old Thomas was a shoemaker. In 1881 they were at Little Holm, Warbleton, where 38 year old Thomas was a shoemaker. They had ten children:
- Thomas Henry Cornford. Baptised 22 May 1864 in Warbleton
- Rhoda Cornford. Born 2 October 1867 in Heathfield. Baptised 10 November 1867 at Warbleton.
- Alice Maude Cornford. Born 1870 in Heathfield. Baptised 20 February 1870 at Heathfield.
- Edith Cornford. Born 1874 in Heathfield. Baptised 23 August 1874 at Warbleton
- Lillie Emma Cornford. Born 1876 in Heathfield. Baptised 11 June 1876 at Warbleton.
- Charlotte Cornford. Born 1878 in Heathfield. Baptised 26 May 1878 at Warbleton.
- Katie Cornford. Born 1881 in Heathfield
- Blanche Cornford. Born 6 September 1882 in Warbleton.
- Christopher Cornford. Born 9 July 1884 in Warbleton.
- Roland Cornford. Born 1886 in Warbleton
Mary Ann Cornford died in 1890 aged 44 years old (Reg Gen Sept Qtr 1890 Hailsham 2b 66) so by 1891, Thomas, now aged 49 was a widower, still a shoemaker. living near Punnetts Town with his children.
Thomas Cornford died in 1899 aged 58 years old.
Thomas and Mary Ann's son Thomas Henry Cornford married Ellen Eliza Edwards on 1 March 1893 at Warbleton (Reg Gen March Qtr 1893 Hailsham 2b 127). In 1901 they were living at Farm House, Heathfield with their children. Also at the address were Henry Edwards and Eliza Edwards, Ellen's parents. Henry Edwards was a 68 year old farmer. By 1911 the family was living at Oak Farm, Punnetts Green, Heathfield where 46 year old Thomas was a boat maker. His 17 year old son Thomas was assisting in the business. A further daughter had been born. Thomas and Henry had four children:
- Thomas Henry Cornford, Born 14 December 1893. Baptised 9 February 1894 in Heathfield. In 1939 Thomas is living at Rose Court, Punnetts Town. He is shown as married, but the relationship to others listed is not immediately apparent. Thomas Henry Cornford of Moreton, Briscobel Road, St Leonards died on 28 October 1986.
- Ellen Eliza Cornford. Baptised 27 September 1895 in Heathfield.
- "Lottie" Lily Cornford. Born 17 March 1897. Baptised 28 May 1897 in Heathfield. Lottie married Charles Milward in 1920. In 1939 they were living at 12 Bellbanks Road, where Charles was a "mat trimmer". Charles Milward of 12 Bellbanks Road, Horsham died on 30 December 1982. Lottie Lily Milward of Hedgefield Cottage, St Peters Way, East Blatchington died on 26 December 1983.
- Rhoda Amy Cornford. Born 2 October 1902. Baptised 21 November 1902 in Heathfield. Rhoda married Reginald Frederick Davis in 1922. In 1939 Rhoda is listed at Holmbury, Punnetts Town. She is shown as married, but there is no reference to her husband. Reginald died in 1962. Rhoda Amy Davis of 9, Pont Road, Punnetts Town died on 9 May 1986 at Punnetts Town, Heathfield.
Ellen Eliza Cornford died in 1969 in Worthing.
In 1901 Thomas and Mary Ann's daughter Rhoda Cornford, aged 33 was a dressmaker working on her own account at home at 24 Cummington Road, Eastbourne. In 1939 Rhoda was living by herself at 4, Church Hill, Warbleton. Rhoda Cornford never married and she died in 1949 in Hailsham.
Thomas and Mary Ann's daughter Alice Maud Cornford also appears not to have married and she died in 1909 in Hailsham, aged 38 years old.
Thomas and Mary Ann's daughter Edith Cornford married Ethelbert George Kendall on 15 September 1910 at Warbleton. In 1911 they were living at the White Horse Inn, Chichester where Ethelbert was the landlord. In 1917 Ethelbert enlisted in the Army Service Corps. He gives his address as the White Horse Inn, but his trade as a butcher!! Edith Kendall died in 1918 aged 44 years old. An Ethelbert George Kendall of 147, St Pancras, Chichester died on 5 April 1938. Probate was granted to his widow Florence Mabel Kendall, so it seems probable that Ethelbert had remarried.
Thomas and Mary Ann's daughter Lillie Emma Cornford married in 1903 in Brighton. lily Emma Cannon died in 1909 in Brighton, aged 33 years.
It seems likely that Thomas and Mary Ann's daughter Charlotte Cornford died in 1894 aged 16 years old.
Thomas and Mary Ann's daughters Katie Cornford appears to have never married and she died in 1954 in Hailsham.
Thomas and Mary Ann's daughter Blanche Cornford married Gordon Oliver in 1908. In 1911 they were living at Three Cups, Punnetts Green and Gordon is a butcher! In 1939 they were living at Little Bathurst Farm, Hailsham where Gordon was a dairy farmer and his eldest son was a farm labourer. They appear to have had five children:
- Gordon Thomas Oliver. Born 1909. Gordon T Oliver died in 1918 in Hailsham.
- Leonard William Oliver. Born 19 July 1910. Leonard married Frances May Pollington in 1931 in Hailsham. In 1939 they were living at 3 Pains Farm Cottages, Hailsham where Leonard was a heavy goods vehicle driver. Their daughter was living with them. Leonard died in 1996 in East Hoathley. Frances May Oliver on 4 September 2009.
- Cecil Oliver. Born 29 May 1915. Cecil married Marjory Iris Hobden in 1943. Cecil Oliver of Yew Tree Farm, Flitterbrook Lane, Punnetts Town died on 24 October 1979 in Eastbourne. Marjory Iris Oliver died in 1987 in Eastbourne.
- Phyllis May Oliver. Born 26 April 1926. Phyllis married Eric Leonard Emery on 24 November 1945 at Warbleton. They had two children. Phyllis May Emery died on 22 June 1969 in Hailsham, aged just 43 years old. Eric Leonard Emery died on 19 March 2003 in Eastbourne.
- John Royston Oliver. Born 23 November 1928. John married Betty G Catt in 1952 in Hailsham. Between 2003 and 2006 they were living at Marklye, Marklye Lane, Rushlake Green. John Royston Oliver died on 26 January 2006.
Gordon Oliver died in 1964 in Eastbourne. Blanche Oliver of Hazeldene, Warbleton died on 21 April 1968.
Thomas and Mary Ann's son Christopher Cornford married Louisa Jane Cornford in 1909. Louisa was the daughter of Samuel Cornford and Elvina Burgess who had married in 1867 in Hailsham. The relationship between the two Cornford families (if any) has not been established. In 1909 Christopher Cornford is listed as a shopkeeper in Punnetts Town. In 1911 they were living in Punnetts Town and Christopher is described as a cycle agent. They had a son
- Victor Joseph Cornford. Born 22 May 1916. Victor died in 2002 in Eastbourne, aged 86 years.
Louisa Jane Cornford of The Yews, Punnetts Town (wife of Christopher Cornford died on 17 March 1932, aged 45 years old. Christopher Cornford remarried, Dora May Marchant in 1933. In 1939 they were living in The Yews, Batke Road, Hailsham and Christopher was a general shopkeeper and garage proprietor. Dora Mary Cornford (wife of Christopher Cornford) of The Yews, Punnetts Town, Heathfield died on 5 March 1963. Administration was granted to Christopher Cornford, shopkeeper. Christopher Cornford died in 1978, aged 93 years old.
Thomas and Mary Ann's son Roland Cornford married Ellen Mercy Kemp in 1912. In 1939 they were living at Scragg Oak, Rushlake Green where Roland was a dairy farmer. They had a daughter who at the time was employed as a poultry dresser.
- Kate Cornford. Born 8 January 1914. Married Cecil Catt in 1940. Cecil was the son of Stephen Catt and Daisy Eliza Burchett who married in 1912 in Hailsham. He was the great grandson of Stephen Catt who married Ann Barton on 31 March 1834. Ann Barton was the daughter of John Barton and Catherine Keeley (Volume III. Appendix C). Kate Catt died in 2004 aged 90 years old.
Ellen Mercy Cornford died on 9 October 1973 at Heathfield.
- Miriam Ann Lewis nee Cornford
William and Mary's daughter Miriam Ann Cornford married Samuel Lewis on 24 July 1880 at Hooe.
Samuel Lewis had been born on 17 December 1857 and baptised on 31 January 1858 in Hooe, the son of Henry Lewis and Charlotte Vidler (Appendix G). His sister Mary Lewis married Thomas Pocock (Appendix E) and their daughter Charlotte Edith Pocock (who married James William Veness (Chapter 12)) was his niece.
In 1881 Samuel and Miriam were living at Hooe Common, Hooe where 26 year old Samuel was an agricultural labourer. Miriam's father, William Cornford, a 70 year old widow, was living with them.
Samuel and Miriam had seven children:
- Thomas Lewis. Baptised 21 August 1881 in Hooe
- Mary Ann Lewis, Baptised 17 June 1883 in Hooe
- Beatrice Lewis. Born 11 April 1885. Baptised 21 June 1885 in Hooe
- William Henry Lewis. Born 4 May 1887. Baptised 17 July 1887 in Hooe
- Arthur Robert Lewis. Baptised 17 March 1889 in Hooe,
- Unnamed girl, Born 1891 in Hooe
- Gordon Wallace Lewis. Born 23 January 1893. Baptised 21 May 1893 in Hooe.
In 1891 the family were living in Rose Cottage, Sand Hill, Hooe. Samuel remained an agricultural labourer. A daughter had recently been born and was only 1 month old. She had yet to be named, She appears not to have survived as she is not listed in 1901 census.
In 1901 the family are still at Sand Hill Cottages. Samuel, 42 is now a shepherd. Daughter Mary Ann is not listed in 1901 or 1911.
By 1911 the family was living at Hooe Common. Samuel, aged 56 is still a shepherd. Son William, aged 23 is a market gardener, son Arthur, aged 22, a butcher and Gordon, aged 18 a domestic gardener.
Miriam Ann Lewis died in 1924 aged 74 years old.
In 1939 Samuel Lewis, widower was living at Aldaf, Ninfield with Herbert Hammond, a jobbing gardener and his wife Beatrice. He is described as "incapacitated". Beatrice was his daughter (see below).
Samuel Lewis is believed to have died in 1940.
In 1901 Samuel and Miriam's son Thomas Lewis was still living at home, aged 19, he was a domestic gardener. Thomas married Nellie Mahala Munn in 1907. In 1911 they were living at Spring Cottage, Hooe. Thomas was now a "carter on a farm". They had two sons and a daughter
- Maurice Lewis. Born 1907 in Hooe
- Cyril Samuel Lewis. Born 7 May 1909 in Hooe.
- Miriam Mahala Ann Lewis. Born 4 July 1914 in Hooe. In 1939 Miriam was a cook working for Horace E Marsh and his family at 1 Cantelupe Road, Bexhill. Miriam married Harold David Morris in 1940. Harold David Morris of Glenhurst, Ninfield died on 24 September 1972. Miriam Mahala Ann Morris of Glenhurst, High Street, Ninfield. (TN33 9JF) died on 31 July 1990. Miriam would have been my grandfather William Douglas Veness' second cousin (on both the Lewis and the Cornford side sharing two lots of great grandparents), and this was probably unbeknown to them both although they lived just down the road from each other. I am reasonably certain that Miriam was the "Mrs Molly Morris" who ran the tobacconist and sweet shop until 1978 and with whom I used to spent my "1d" on the way home from Sunday School in the late 1960's/early 1970's. I also recall we sold our old Ford Anglia to Mr Morris shortly before he died and that the car sat rusting away in their front garden for many years following his death. The picture below is taken from https://ninfieldhistorygroup.org/shops/4572403471.
Thomas Lewis died in 1934, aged 53 years old. And so by 1939 Nellie M Lewis was a widow living at 3 Council Houses, Ninfield. Her son Cyril remained at home and is descried as a general labourer (disabled). Also at the address was Myra M Browne, a married woman, born 11 March 1917. Nellie M Lewis died in 1944, aged 64 years.
In 1901 Samuel and Miriam's daughter Mary Ann Lewis, aged 18 was a general servant, living with and working for Emily Medley, a 49 year old "living on her own means" at Sedgewick Road, Bexhill. In 1911 she was a 28 year old parlour maid. living with and working for 60 year old Robert William Mansfield, a retired consul general at Priory Mount, Hastings. Mary Ann Lewis married Luke Pont in 1915. Luke Pont was the son of Luke Pont (31 October 1864 to 11 November 1947) and Rosina May Crouch (1871 to 7 January 1938) who married in 1888. Luke Pont senior and his brother Mark Pont senior (1858 to 18 March 1917) were both market gardeners in Ninfield. Mark Pont married Caroline Fanny Harris (1859 to 1944). In 1911 they were living at Hope Cottage, Ninfield and their son Mark Pont junior (9 April 1888 to 1 April 1958 - Luke's cousin), then aged 22, is a butcher working on his own account. The 1915 Kelly's directory shows Mark Pont Junior operating from Ninfield Green. The 1939 register confirms that he owned his own butchery business. He would have been employing my grandfather, William Douglas Veness (Chapter 13) at the time. So the niece of Margaret Cornford (my grandfather's grandmother) married Luke Pont junior who was a cousin of Mark Pont junior who was to become my grandfathers employer. Confused???
The photo below is taken from https://ninfieldhistorygroup.org/shops/4572403471
Mark Pont junior married Florence May Wait in 1911 and their son Archer G Pont was pageboy at my grandparents wedding (Chapter 13)
It is believed that Luke and Mary Ann had at least one daughter:
- Daphne Beatrice Pont. Born 4 February 1919. In 1939 Daphne was living with her aunt Beatrice (see below). Daphne married Tom Lewis Allen in 1943. Tom Lewis Allen of Tiffedene, Four Acres Lane, Three Oaks, East Sussex died on 3 August 1980. Daphne Beatrice Allen of 5 Oast House Road, Icklesham, Rye died on 20 September 1995.
In 1930 Luke Pont is listed in Kelly's Directory for Ninfield as a "shopkeeper". Mary A Pont died in 1935, aged 51 years. Luke Pont the younger of Lower Street, Ninfield died on 21 January 1936 (aged 48 years old) at Bexhill Hospital. Administration (with will) (limited) was granted to Luke Pont, the elder and Reginald Christian Pont, market gardeners.
Samuel and Maria's daughter Beatrice Lewis married Herbert J Hammond in 1911. In 1939 Herbert and Beatrice are living at Aldaf, Ninfield. Herbert is a jobbing gardener. Beatrice's father is living with them. Also at the address is Daphne B Pont, Beatrice's neice. Herbert John Hammond of Aldaf, Bexhill Road, Ninfield died on 7 November 1970. Beatrice Hammond of St Bridget's Street, St Johns Road, Bexhill died on 29 November 1972, aged 87 years old.
Samuel and Miriam's son William Henry Lewis married Eunice Beryl Crittle in 1924 in Bromley, Kent. In 1939 they were living at Paygate Cottages, Chailey, Sussex where William was a groom/gardener/handyman. They had two daughters
- Brenda E Lewis. Born 14 January 1926. Brenda married John Leonard A Francis in 1944. John Leonard A Francis died in 1995 in Surrey.
- Doreen M Lewis. Born 25 May 1927. Doreen married Norman John Thorpe in 1947. Norman John Thorpe died in 1991 in Watford.
William H Lewis died in 1964. Eunice B Lewis died in 1991, aged 92 years old.
Samuel and Miriam's son Arthur Robert Lewis died in 1913, aged just 24 years old.
Samuel and Miriam's son Gordon Wallace Lewis married Ethel Marjorie Cooper on 28 April 1928 in Walthamstow. In 1939 they were living at 15, Vale Road, Battle and Gordon was a gardener. Gordon Wallace Lewis died on 30 November 1980 at Bexhill on Sea. Ethel Marjorie Cooper died on 31 December 1985.
Margaret Veness nee Cornford
Margaret Cornford was born on 1 May 1835. She was baptised 31 May 1835 at Wadhurst Parish Church, daughter of William and Mary Cornford.
Margaret married James Veness on 12 July 1864 at Warbleton Parish Church.
They had five children:
- Mary Selina Veness. Baptised 20 May 1866 at Hooe Parish Church
- Jane Veness. Baptised 21 February 1868 at Hooe Parish Church.
- James William Veness, Baptised 25 February 1872 at Hooe Parish Church.
- Edith Maria Veness. Baptised on 22 February 1874 at Hooe Parish Church, and
- Bertha Blanche Veness on 29 August 1875 at Hooe Parish Church
Their lives are detailed at Chapter 11.