The Early Generations
Thomas Barton and Anne Mepham
The earliest generation that I have been able to trace with certainty is Thomas Barton married Anne Mepham of Herstmonceux on 16 January 1751 at Wartling Parish Church.
At present I have been unable to trace Thomas Barton's baptism. Other researchers have suggested he was baptised on 23 April 1721 at Wartling Parish Church, but the entry in the parish register reads Thomas son of Thomas and Mary BARDEN. If they are correct that this is Thomas Barton then his ancestry can be traced back to the 1500's but I am not yet convinced this is the correct position.
Thomas and Anne had at least three children:
- Betty Barton. Baptised 13 January 1754 at Herstmonceux, daughter of Thomas and Anne Barton.
- Thomas Barton. Baptised 19 April 1755 at Herstmonceux, son of Thomas and Anne Barton.
- John Barton. Baptised 28 November 1756 at Herstmonceux, son of Thomas and Anne Barton.
Nothing more is known about Betty and John. A little is known about Thomas and this is detailed below.
Thomas Barton and Mary Weston
Thomas was baptised on 19 April 1755, the son of Thomas Barton and Anne Mepham
On 5 August 1778 Thomas married Mary Weston at Warbleton Parish Church.
Mary Weston was baptised on 22 May 1757 at Herstmonceux, the daughter of Thomas Weston
Thomas and Mary had seven children
- Thomas Barton. Baptised 4 October 1778 at Wartling Parish Church
- Sarah Barton. Baptised 16 January 1780 at Wartling Parish Church. Buried 21 April 1780 at Wartling Parish Church
- Jenny/Jane Barton. Baptised 3 June 1781 at Wartling Parish Church
- Joseph Barton. Baptised 24 August 1783 at Wartling Parish Church.
- Samuel Barton. Baptised 19 June 1785 at Wartling Parish Church
- Mary Barton. Baptised 9 July 1786 at Wartling Parish Church.
- John Barton. Baptised 4 September 1788 at Wartling Parish Church.
Our line continues through Thomas and Mary's son John and his family is detailed below. The remainder of their children are dealt with at Appendix A.
John Barton and Catherine Keeley
John Barton was baptised 4 September 1788 at Warbleton Parish Church, the son of Thomas Barton and Mary Weston
In 1810, John married Catherine Keeley at Warbleton Parish Church. Both John and Catherine were only able to make their mark. The witnesses were Richard Keeley and Harriet Kemp, who were also only made their mark.
Catherine was baptised on 11 October 1787 in Warbleton, the daughter of Richard Keeley. Catherine's ancestry is covered in Appendix B.
John and Catherine had eight children:
- Ann Barton. Born 22 November 1810 at Warbleton, Baptised 29 December 1810 at Heathfield Independent Chapel. Anne is described as the daughter of John and "Kittey" Barton.
- Hannah Barton. Born 25 December 1812. Baptised 7 February 1813 at Heathfield Independent Chapel
- John Barton. Baptised 10 March 1815 at Warbleton. Baptised 16 April 1815 at Heathfield Independent Chapel.
- Thomas Barton. Born 14 May 1817 at Warbleton. Baptised 15 June 1817 at Heathfield Independent Chapel
- Sarah Barton. Born 11 October 1818 in Warbleton. Baptised 8 November 1818 at Heathfield Independent chapel
- Jane Barton. Born 27 June 1822 in Warbleton. Baptised 15 July 1822 at Heathfield Independent Chapel.
- James Barton. Born 5 February 1825 in Warbleton. Baptised 13 March 1825 at Heathfield Independent Chapel
- Henry Barton. Born 1 December 1830 at Warbleton. Baptised 26 December 1830 at Heathfield independent Chapel.
By 1841 John Barton, aged 50 and an agricultural labourer and his wife Catherine, also aged 50 were living at Bodel Street, Warbleton. The only child remaining at home at that time was Henry, aged 10. In the 1841 census ages were rounded.
John and Catherine were still living at Bodle Street Green at the time the 1851 census was taken and are 62 and 63 respectively. John is still described as an agricultural labourer.
It is understood Catherine died in 1854.
In 1861 John Barton, aged 72, retired was living with his daughter Sarah and son in law Peter Bourner at Wood Lane, Warbleton.
John Barton died on 4 July 1868 (Reg Gen Sept Hailsham 2b 41)
Click here to go to "Chapter 2 - James Barton and Orpha Crowhurst"
To find out more about Thomas Barton and Mary Weston's descendents click here to go to "Appendix A - The Children of Thomas Barton and Mary Weston"
To find out more about Catherine Keeley and her family click here to go to "Appendix B - Keeley".
To find out more about John Barton and Catherine Keeley's other children and their descendents click here to go to "Appendix C - The children of John Barton and Catherine Keeley".