VOL. IV - APPENDIX H
Stranacks of Margate
Alice Emma Stranack was my maternal grandmother. She married William Douglas Veness on 9 March 1929, at Ninfield Parish Church (Chapter 13).
This Appendix covers what is known of Alice's ancestry.
The earliest generation with which I start the account is James Stronach and Mary Staple. Most of the information here and about at least the subsequent two generations has been obtained from other researchers on Ancestry. co.uk Please let me know if it is your research and I will give you credit.
James Stronoch & Mary Staple
James Stronach was born in 1665 in Bute, Scotland.
James married Mary Staple on 7 January 1688. Mary Staple had been baptised on 7 November 1664 at St Peters, Thanet. She was the daughter of Robert Staple and Elizabeth.
They probably had six children, of which three may have survived:
- Thomas Stranack. Died 1691 in Margate, Kent.
- Mary Stranack. Born 1690 in Margate, Kent.
- Robert Stranack. Born 1691 in Margate, Kent, Died 1696 in Margate, Kent
- Elizabeth Stranack. Born 1692 in Margate, Kent. Died 1693 in Margate, Kent.
- James Stranack. Born 1694 in Margate, Kent
- Robert Stranack. Born 1696 in Margate, Kent
Mary Stranack died in 1740 in Margate
Our line continues through their son James Stranack (see below)
Their daughter Mary Stranack married Thomas Ladd on 6 April 1722 in Margate.
Nothing more is known about their son Robert Stranack.
James Stranack and Susanna
James Stranack was born in 1694 in Margate, Kent, the son of James Stronoch and Mary Staple. He was my great x 6 grandfather.
He married Susanna and they had twelve children, all born in Margate, Kent:
- Mary Stranack. Born 1718
- James Stranack. Born 1719.
- Susanna Stranack. Born 1721
- John Stranack. Born 1723. Died 1730.
- Jeremiah Stranack. Born 1725.
- Robert Stranack. Born 1727
- Henry Stranack. Born 1730.
- John Stranack. Born 1732.
- Elizabeth Stranack. Born 1735
- Stephen Stranack. Born 1738. Died 1738.
- Sarah Stranack. Born 1739
- Martha Stranack. Born 1743.
Susannah Stranack, wife of James Stranack was buried on 24 March 1774 in Margate,
Our line continues through Jeremiah Stranack and his life is detailed below:
Nothing more is known about Mary, Elizabeth or Robert Stranack
A little is known about their remaining siblings:
- James Stranack and Elizabeth Grainger
James Stranack was born in 1719, the son of James Stranack and Susanna.
James married Elizabeth Grainger on 31 December 1747 at St John the Baptist, Margate.
They are believed to have had three children:
- Elizabeth Stranack. Born 1749. Died 1749
- James Stranack. Born 1753
- Elizabeth Stranack. Born 1757.
James Stranack (Junior) died in 1771 and was buried on 20 June 1771 at St Johns, Thanet.
Elizabeth Stranack died in 1806.
James and Elizabeth's son James married Ann Archer on 6 January 1780 at St John the Baptist, Margate. They had a daughter Elizabeth Stranack, who was baptised on 3 April 1791 at St John the Baptist, Margate.
James and Elizabeth's daughter Elizabeth married John Foat on 2 February 1783 at St John the Baptist, Margate. They had two children:
- Ann Foat. Baptised 17 December 1786 at Margate. Ann married Henry Wright Palmer, watchmaker on 20 September 1810.
- Sarah Foat. Born 1794
Nothing more is known.
- Susannah Butler nee Stranack
Susannah Stranack was born around 1721, the son of James Stranack and Susanna.
Susanna Stranack married William Butler in 1749.
Nothing more is known.
- Henry Stranack and Mary Terry
Henry Stranack was born in 1730, the son of James Stranack and Susanna.
Henry Stranack married Mary Terry in 1751.
They had nine children:
- Elizabeth Stranack. Born 1751.
- Mary Stranack. Born 1755.
- Henry Stranack, Born 1756. Buried 25 October 1770 at St John at Margate, Thanet.
- Susanna Stranack. Born 1758.
- Stephen Stranack. Born 1760
- Rachel Stranack. Baptised 29 March 1763 at St John the Baptist, Margate
- Daniel Swinford Stranack. Born 1765. Died 1765
- Daniel Terry Stranack. Born 1766. Buried 13 December 1788 at St John the Baptist, Margate.
- Sarah Stranack. Born 1767. Died 1767.
Henry Stranack died in 1784 and was buried at St John the Baptist, Margate on 29 December 1784. Mary Stranack died in 1785,
Henry and Mary's daughter Elizabeth Stranack married Joseph Corbett in 1774. She is believed to have died in the 1780.
Henry and Mary's daughter Mary Stranack married John Sully in 1778. She died in 1823
Henry and Mary's daughter Susanna Stranack married Abraham Prior in 1783. She died in 1821.
Henry and Mary's son Stephen Stranack married Sarah Rowe in 1782 and they had six children:
- Sarah Stranack. Born 1783
- Mary Ann Stranack. Born 1784. Died 1785
- Stephen Henry Stranack. Born 1786
- John Rowe Stranack. Born 1787
- James Pickering Stranack. Born 1789
- Henry Joseph Stranack. Born 1791
Finally Henry and Mary's daughter Rachel Stranack married John Harman in 1794.
- John Stranack and Priscilla Jarvis
John Stranack was born in 1732, the son of James Stranack and Susanna.
John Stranack married Priscilla Jarvis on 23 February 1754 at St Mary Briden, Canterbury
They had nine children:
- Anne Stranack. Born 1773
- John Stranack. Born 1757
- James Stranack. Baptised 27 September 1761 at St John in Margate in Thanet.
- Susan Stranack. Born 1763. Died 1763
- John Jarvis Stranack. Born 1766. Died 1800
- Daniel Stranack. Born 1768. Died 1770
- Priscilla Stranack. Born 1770. Died 1773
- Daniel Jarvis Stranack. Born 1772. Died 1773.
- Sybella Stranack. Baptised 5 December 1775 at St Mary's, Rotherhithe.
John Stranack died in 1799. Probate of his will (below) was granted on 10 July 1799.
Priscilla Stranack died in 1804.
John and Priscilla's daughter Anne Stranack married Richard Boyman on 24 December 1773 at St Mary, Rotherhithe. They had five children:
- Ann Boyman. Baptised 7 January 1780 at St John the Baptist, Margate. Ann married William Pizzey in 1802 in Old Church, St Pancras. Ann Pizzey died on 15 December 1861 and was buried on 21 December 1861 at Norwood Cemetary.
- Mary Boyman. Born 1781. Baptised 12 March 1783. In 1851 she was a 70 year old annuinant living with her sister Eliza. Mary died on 17 March 1858 at Denmark Hill.
- Priscilla Boyman. Baptised 12 March 1783 at St John the Baptist, Margate. Priscilla married Samuel Marley Shelley in 1807 in Hackney, Middx. They had a son Henry Shelley who was baptised on 13 September 1809 at Whitechapel. Samuel Marley Shelley was buried on 18 April 1825 at St Mary, Whitechapel. Priscilla died and was buried on 24 February 1864 at St Giles, Camberwell. Their son Henry Shelley died on 22 December 1891.
- Eliza Boyman. Born 1801. In 1851 she was living with her sister Mary. Eliza Boyman formerly of Grosvenor Place, Camberwell and Chamopin Terrace, Denmark Hill, Camberwell died on 17 March 1858.
- George Richard Boyman. Baptised 28 November 1785 at St John the Baptist, Margate.
Richard Boyman was buried on 7 December 1836 at Walworth, Southwark.
John and Priscilla's son John Stranack married Elizabeth Wood in 1778 and they had two children:
- Elizabeth Stranack. Born 1780
- John Richard Stranack. Baptised 26 December 1784 at St Mary's Rotherhide
John and Priscila's son James Stranack married Sarah and they had the following children:
- Priscilla Stranack. Baptised 2 April 1786 at St John the Baptist, Margate. Buried 8 October 1814 at Rotherhithe.
- James Stranack. Baptised 1 May 1788 at St John the Baptist, Margate. James married Elizabeth Rivers on 28 July 1810 at St Botolphs, Bishopgate. They had nine children.
- John Stranack. Baptised 30 March 1790 at St Mary's, Rotherhithe.
- Sarah Frances Stranack. Baptised 20 April 1791 at St John's, Margate
- William Parker Stranack. Baptised 30 September 1796 at St Mary's, Rotherhithe
James Stranack died in 1810,
John and Priscilla's son John Jarvis Stranack married Elizabeth Abernethy on 14 September 1797 at Lambeth St Mary. They had two children
- Richard James Stranack. Born 1798
- James Alexander Stranack. Born 1800
Finally John and Priscilla's daughter, Sybella Stranack married George Wastell Hooper on 13 December 1806 at Margate. They had five children:
- Sophia Leapidge Hooper, Baptised 16 December 1807 at St John, Margate. Sophia Leapidge Hooper died of 96 Bonner Road, Victoria Park, Bethnal Green
on 5 February 1892 and was buried on 12 February 1892 at Norwood Cemetary. Probate was granted to George William Jennery, gentleman and Sophia Ingo Cunningham (wife of Joseph Thomas Cunningham).
- Juliana Robinson Hooper. Baptised 27 July 1809 at St John, Margate
- George Wastell Hooper. Baptised 23 July 1811 at St John, Margate
- Georgena Sybella Hooper. Baptised on 2 November 1813 at St John the Baptist, Margate. Georgena married James Jennery at St Matthew's, Bethnal Green on 14 May 1834, Georgena was a minor so the parish register records that the marriage was "with the consent of George Wastel Hooper Esquire the lawful father of the said minor" (see below). James and Georgina had seven children. Georgina Sybella Jennery died in 1855, aged 42 years old. James Jennery died in 1882 in Poplar, London
- Francis George Hooper. Baptised 30 May 1815 at St John the baptist, Margate.
George Wastell Hooper died in 1839 in Broadstairs, Kent.
- Sarah Peckman nee Stranack.
Sarah Stranack was born in 1739 in Margate, the son of James Stranack and Susanna.
James and Susanna's daughter Sarah Stranack married Robert Peckman in 1761.
Nothing further is known.
- Martha Randall nee Stranack.
Martha Stranack was born in 1743 in Margate, the daughter of James and Susanna.
Martha married John Randall in 1764.
She died in 1774 just 10 years later aged 31 years old and was buried on 25 April 1774 at St. John The Baptist Church, Margate.
Jeremiah Stranack & Elizabeth Sandwell
Jeremiah Stranack was born on 16 July 1725 in Margate, Kent, the son of James Stranack and Susanna. He was my great x 5 grandfather.
He married Elizabeth Sandwell on 31 December 1749 at St John The Baptist Margate. Elizabeth Sandwell had been baptised on 25 October 1729 at St Peters, Kent. She was the daughter of John Sandwell and Elizabeth Stanner who had married on 1 December 1728 at St Peters, Kent. Her father had been baptised on 12 September 1706, the son of Jethro Sandwell and Jane.
They had nine children all born in Margate:
- Jeremiah Stranack. Born 1750. Died 1764.
- John Stranack. Born 1753.
- James Stranack. Born 1 July 1755.
- Elizabeth Stranack. Born 3 March 1758.
- Susanna Stranack. Born 3 January 1761. Buried 30 September 1763 at St John in Margate
- Jeremiah Stranack. Born 13 September 1764.
- Susanna Stranack. Born 19 August 1767. Baptised 13 September 1767 at St John's, Margate. Buried 22 January 1770 at St John's, Margate.
- Henry Stranack. Baptised 3 January 1770 at St John's, Margate.
- Robert Stranack. Born 28 May 1772.
St John the Baptist Church, Margate is pictured below.
Jeremiah Stranack died on 23 April 1787 at Margate. His wife Elizabeth died on 7 September 1789 and was buried on 13 September 1789 at St Johns, Margate.
Our line continues through Jeremiah and Elizabeth's son James and his life is detailed below.
A little is known about their remaining children:
- John Stranack and Elizabeth Kerby.
John Stranack was born on 26 January 1753, the son of Jeremiah Stranack and Elizabeth Sandwell
John Stranack married Elizabeth Kerby in 1779.
John died on 22 September 1812 in Margate.
His wife Elizabeth Stranack died in 1813.
- Elizabeth Stranack.
Elizabeth Stranack ws born on 3 March 1758. of Jeremiah Stranack and Elizabeth Sandwell
It appears she never married and she died on 1 November 1826 at Margate.
- Jeremiah Stranack
Jeremiah Stranack was born on 13 September 1764 at Margate, the son of Jeremiah Stranack and Elizabeth Sandwell
He died on 12 April 1826 at Margate, aged 64 years old.
- Henry Stranack and Sarah Goodwin/Eliza Alford
Henry Stranack was baptised on 3 January 1770, at St Johns, Margate the son of Jeremiah Stranack and Elizabeth Sandwell
Henry married Sarah Goodwin on 7 October 1793 at St John the Baptist, Margate.
Sarah had died by 1828 and Henry remarried on 28 December 1828 at St Pancras. his second wife was Eliza Alford.
Henry and Eliza had two children:
- Joshua Henry Stranack. Born 30 September 1829
- Henry Robert Stranack. Baptised 11 March 1832 at St Johns, Margate. Died 9 May 1832 in Margate.
Henry Stranack died and was buried on 27 July 1833 at Margate.
Eliza Stranack died and was buried on 22 November 1852 at Margate.
Later census returns suggest that Henry and Elizabeth's son Henry Joshua Stranock had been born in Ostend, Belguim. Henry Joshua married Elizabeth Blackbourn on 20 May 1855 at St Anne's, Limehouse. He is described as a a mariner of Robert Street. His father Henry was also a mariner. Elizabeth Blackbourn was the daughter of Charles Blackbourn, fellowship porter.
Henry Joshua and Elizabeth had four children
- Elizabeth Eliza Stranack. Baptised 23 July 1865 at St Dunstans, Stephney. Elizabeth married Charles Haggar on 11 December 1893 at St Matthews, Limehouse Fields. They had two sons.
- Jane Sarah Stranack. Born 1869 in Mile End Old Town.
- Henry Robert Stranack. Born 1870 in Mile End Old Town
- Harriett Ada Stranack. Born 1875 in Stephney
In 1881 the family were living at 25 Latimer Street, Mile End Old Town where 52 year old Henry was a labourer. In 1894 Henry Joshua Staranack is listed on the electoral register living at 14 York Street West, Limehouse, Tower Hamlets. Joshua Henry Stranack of 27 Barnes Street, Ratcliff died and was buried on 20 October 1929 at Tower Hamlets Cemetary. Elizabeth is understood to have died in 1913.
- Robert Stranack and Ann Holloway
Robert Stranack was born on 28 May 1772, the son of Jeremiah Stranack and Elizabeth Sandwell. He was baptised on 24 June 1772 at St John the Baptist, Margate.
"Rob Stranack", a mariner of St John, Thanet married Ann Holloway of Chislet on 17 October 1798
They had a daughter Ann Elizabeth Stranack baptised 6 December 1801 at St John's, Margate. Ann died in infancy and was buried on 9 May 1804 at St John's, Margate.
Robert Stranack died on 24 December 1801 at Margate.
Ann Stranack remarried on 19 December 1805. Her second husband was William Cannaby.
James Stranack & Mary Elizabeth Seath
James Stranack was born on 1 June 1855, the son of of Jeremiah Stranack and Elizabeth Sandwell. He was my great x 4 grandfather.
James married Mary Elizabeth Seath on 13 December 1781 at St Mary Magdelene, Canterbury, Kent.
From baptisms at St John the Baptist, Margate James and Mary Stranack appear to have had the following children:
- James Strannack, Born 22 February 1783, baptised 19 March 1783
- John Strannack, Born 5 April 1785, baptised 5 June 1785. Buried 30 September 1786 at Margate.
- Jeremiah Strannack, Born 26 September 1787, baptised 24 October 1787
- John Seath Stranack. Born 6 December 1789 and baptised 3 January 1790
- Jeremiah Stranack, Born 6 October 1792, baptised 11 November 1792
- Mary Elizabeth Stranack. Baptised 18 September 1795. Buried 21 January 1804 at St John's, Margate.
James Stranack died in 1824 in Margate.
Mary Elizabeth Stranack is believed to have died in 1834
Our line continues through John Seath Stranack.
A little is known about their remaining children:
- James Stranack
James Strannack, was born on 22 February 1783 and baptised 19 March 1783 at St John's, Margate, the son of James Stranack and Mary Elizabeth Seath.
He was buried on 21 May 1835 at Margate, Kent. He was 54 years old.
- Jeremiah Stranack and Jane Seath
James Stranack and Mary Elizabeth Seath seem to have had two sons named Jeremiah:
- Jeremiah Strannack. Born 26 September 1787, baptised 24 October 1787
- Jeremiah Stranack, Born 6 October 1792, baptised 11 November 1792
I have also located two death records:
- Administration of the estate of Jeremiah Stranack late of 25 Fort Road, Margate, shipping agent who died on 2 February 1843 was granted to his wife relict Elizabeth Ann Stranack.
- Another Jeremiah Stranack died on 15 August 1845. The burial record states that he 54 years old which would have meant he was born in 1792.
This would mean that James and Mary Elizabeth had two sons Jeremiah living at the same time which although unusual was not unheard of.
James Stranack is believed to have married Jane Seath on 8 February 1819 at St John the Baptist, Margate. They had five children:
- Jane Stranack. Baptised 22 December 1822 at St John the Baptist, Margate.
- Mary Elizabeth Stranack. Baptised 9 January 1829 at St John the Baptist, Margate. Buried Died 1833.
- Caroline Stranack. Born 1830. Died 1835.
- James William Stranack. Born 1832 in Ostend Belguim
- Louisa Maria Stranack. Born 1834 in Ostend, Belguim
Jane Stranack is believed to have died in 1891.
Nothing more is known about Jeremiah and Jane's daughter Jane Stranack.
In 1901 Jeremiah and Jane's son was living at 63 Bermuda Road, Lambeth. James, aged 68 was living on his own means. His sister Louise, aged 66 was living with him. Both are shown as having been born in Ostend but british subjects.
In 1861 Louise Stranack is visiting James Weeks and his wife Maria at 112 & 124 Southampton View, Bloomsbury. James was a 48 year old draper. His wife Maria aged 46 had been born in Margate. Louise was 36 years old. No occupation is given. The census shows that she was born in Belguim but was a british subject. Also visiting was Ada Stranack, aged 13, born Chelmsford, Essex. It is not clear how she fits in. In 1901 Louise was living with her brother. Louisa Marie Stranack died in Lambeth in 1906.
John Seath Stranack & Elizabeth Ann Cock/Henrietta Morris
John Seath Stranack was born on 6 December 1789 and baptised 3 January 1790 at St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent. He was the son of James Stranack and Mary Elizabeth Seath. He was my great x 3 grandfather.
John Seath Stranack married Elizabeth Ann Cock in 1813. They had a son
- John Seath Stranack. Baptised 24 September 1814
Elizabeth Ann Stranack died in 1815
On 3 December 1816 John Seth Stranack, widower of St John, Margate married Henrietta Morris, spinster. The witnesses were James Morris and Thomas Morris.
John Seath and Henrietta Stranack had ten children:
- James Stranack. Baptised 21 December 1817 at St John's, Margate
- William Stranack. Baptised 2 May 1819 at St John's, Margate
- Jane Seath Stranack. Baptised 8 April 1821 at St John's, Margate.
- Mary Elizabeth Stranack. Baptised 29 June 1823 at St John's, Margate.
- Henrietta Stranack. Baptised 17 April 1825 at St John's, Margate.
- Jeremiah Stranack. Baptised 3 February 1828 at St John the Baptist, Margate.
- Emma Stranack. Baptised 25 April 1830 at St John the Baptist, Margate. Died 7 April 1832 at Margate.
- Emma Stranack. Baptised 8 July 1832 at St John the Baptist, Margate. Died 6 September 1834 at Margate.
- Ellen Stranack. Baptised 22 June 1834 at St John the Baptist, Margate.
- Elizabeth Stranack. Born 22 April 1838 at St John the Baptist, Margate.
- Robert Stranack. Born 1841 at Margate
- Frederick Stranack. Born 1842 in Margate (Reg Gen March Qtr 1842 Thanet 5 462)
- Emily Stranack. Born 1845 in Margate. Died 10 February 1847 in Margate.
Listed under "French Provision Dealers" in "Pigots 1840 Directory of Margate, Kent" is
- Stranack, John Seath (and harbour master), 10 Paradise Street
Also listed as harbour master under "Pier and harbour companies office"
- Pier - Thomas Malpass, harbour master, S S Chancellor, collector of droits.
Pigots Directory describes Margate as "a seaport, market town and parish in the cinque port liberty of Dover, lathe of St Augustine and hundred of Ringslow". In Kent and Sussex there used to be five 'Head Ports' making up the Confederation of the Cinque Ports (pronounced as sink ports, and meaning 'five ports', in Norman French). The primary members were represented by the ports of Hastings, New Romney, Hythe, Dover, and Sandwich. Margate was added to the ports as a "limb" of Dover in the 15th century. King Edward I of England granted the citizens of the Cinque Ports special privileges, including the right to bring goods into the country without paying import duties; in return the Ports would supply him with men and ships in time of war. The associated ports, the 'limbs', were given the same privileges.
A lathe was an administrative division of the county of Kent from the Anglo-Saxon period until it fell entirely out of use in the early twentieth century. It is believed that they were originally formed around the royal settlements of the Kingdom of Kent. By the late Saxon period, they had become purely administrative units, each of which contained several hundreds.
The print below shows Margate Harbour in 1897.
The steam packet was established in 1815 and attracted 23,500 visitors in the first year which had more than quadrupled by 1840. Vessels plyed between London and Margate on a daily basis effecting the passage in about six and a half hours and in season 2,000 people frequently landed in Margate in any one day.
Eleven years on from the trade directories, in 1851 John and Henrietta were still living in Paradise Street, St John, Margate. The entry reads:
- John Seth Stranack, head, aged 61, harbour master, born Margate
- Henrietta Stranack, wife, aged 53, harbour master's wife, born Hoath, Kent
- Jeremiah Stranack, son, aged 23, harbour master's son, born Margate
- Hellen Stranack, daughter, aged 16, harbour masters daughter, born Margate
- Robert Stranack, son, aged 10, harbour masters son, born Margate
- Frederick Stranack, son, aged 9, born Margate
- Jane Fife, daughter, aged 30, mariners wife, born Margate
- Jane Fife, granddaughter, aged 2, born Burnkosley, Middx
- Ann Pointer, servant, aged 21, born Birchington, Kent.
In 1861 the family were still living in Paradise Street and the occupants were shown as
- John S Stranack, head, aged 71, harbour master and grocer, born Margate
- Henrietta Stranack, wife, aged 64, born Hoath
- Robert Stranack, son, aged 20, grocer, born Margate
- Frederick L Stranack, son, aged 19, grocer, born Margate
- Elizabeth Stranack, granddaughter, aged 11, visitor, born London
- Francis Ech Cladish, aged 16, general servant, born Kent
By 1871 just John and Henreitta remained at 17 Paradise Street, just John and Henrietta remained at home
- John S Stranack, head, aged 81, retired grocer, born Margate
- Henrietta Stranack, wife, aged 73, born Hoath
- Emma Brown, niece, widow, aged 50, companion, born Margate
Henrietta Stranack died later in 1871 aged 74 (Reg Gen June Qtr 1871 Thanet 2a 465)
John Seath Stranack died in 1873 aged 83 (Reg Gen June Qtr 1873 Thanet 2a 449)
Our line continues through Jeremiah Stranack and his life is detailed below
A little is known about John Seath Stranack's remaining children:
- John Seath Stranack and Claudine Elisabeth Maria Pouchin
- John Seath Stranack and Claudine Elisabeth Maria Pouchin
John Seath Stranack was baptised on 4 September 1814 at St John's, Margate, the son of John Seath Stranack and Elizabeth Ann.
I have been told that he married Claudine Elisabeth Maria Pouchin in 1836, who had been born in Ostend, Belguim and that they had seven children.
- Jean Alfred Stranack. Born 28 November 1837 in Ostend. Died 30 November 1837 in Ostend
- Maria Anne Claudine Stranack. Born 29 October 1840 in Ostend.
- Elgi Anna Virginia Stranack. Born 8 April 1842.
- Alfred Jean Stranack. Born 19 March 1845 in Ostend
- Zoe Maria Anna Stranack. Born 23 January 1848 at Ostend
- Emma Mathilde Maria Louise Stranack. Born 15 January 1850 at Ostend.
- Emilie Stranack. Born 12 January 1852 at Brussels
John Seath Stranack died in 1854 in Greenwich.
Claudine Elisabeth Maria Stranack died in 1873 in Brussels.
John Seath and Claudine's daughter Elgi Anna Virginia Stranack married Isidore Autrique. They had four children:
- Auguste Autrique. Born 1871. Married Josephine Mama Kahambwe. Died 26 October 1939 at Stanleyville, Belguim Congo.
- Claude Guillaume Henri Autique. Born 5 January 1873. Married Maria Augustine Hoofs. Died 28 April 1938 at St Gilles, Belguim.
- Alfred John Marie Autrique. Born 2 May 1875 in Brussels. Died 18 January 1926 in Brussels
- Theodore Joseph Marie Autique. Born 30 June 1877 in Brussels. Married Charlotte Palmyre Pauline Anciaux. Died 2 October 1903 in Ixelles.
Elgi Anna Virginia Autique died on 15 February 1912 at Schaerbeek, Brussels.
John Seath and Claudine's daughter Emma Mathilde Maria Louise Stranack married Jean Joseph Hubert Guillaume Franckx on 25 September 1873 at Schaerbeek, Brabant, Belgium. They had nine children:
- Gabrielle Anne Claudine Emma Franckx. Born 14 September 1874 at Sint-Niklaas, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Died 5 November 1898 at Gent, Oost Vlaanderen, Belgium
Michel Guillaume Joseph Franckx. Born 5 January 1877 at Ostend, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Died 25 September 1923 at Brugge, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.
Emile Aglae Joseph Marie Franckx, Born 15 August 1878 at Sint-Niklaas, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Died 8 August 1903 at Gent, Oost Vlaanderen, Belgium
Isodore Zoe Franckx. Born 23 April 1880 at Sint-Niklaas, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Died 5 May 1908 at Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Claudine Helene Anne Emma Franckx. Born 16 October 1881 at Borgerhout, Antwerpen, Belgium. Died 13 July 1954 at Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Joseph Pierre Michel Franckx. Born 19 June 1885 at Gent, Oost Vlaanderen, Belgium. Died 4 April 1928 at Brugge, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Emma Joséphine Franckx. Born 9 September 1887 at Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium Died 18 January 1950 at Gent, Oost Vlaanderen, Belgium
Albert Marie Emile Franckx. Born 8 July 1889. Married Fernande Eeckhout on 1 September 1924. They had two sons. Colonel Albert Marie Emile Franckx died on 24 May 1940 at Poperinge, Arrondissement Ieper, West Flanders (West-Vlaanderen), Belgium
Anne Emma Aglae Franckx. Born 25 June 1891 at Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Died 8 March 1968 at Gent, Oost Vlaanderen, Belgium.
Jean Joseph Hubert Guillaume Franckx died on 19 July 1911 at Ghent, Arrondissement Gent, East Flanders (Oost-Vlaanderen), Belgium. He was buried at Campo Santo. Emma Mathilde Maria Louise Franckx died on 31 January 1923 and was buried at Campo Santo.
Finally John Seath and Claudine's son Emilie Stranack died on 25 May 1879 at Schaerbeek, Brussels.
The information in this section originates from www. genealogieonline.nl
- James Stranack
James Stranack was baptised 21 December 1817 at St John's, Margate, the son of John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris.
In 1841 the census shows he was 20 years old (ages were rounded) living with his parents in Margate. No occupation is given.
James Stranack died on 19 August 1849 at Margate, he was just 31 years old.
- William Stranack and Hannah Webb
William Stranack, was baptised 2 May 1819 at St John's, Margate, the son of John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris.
William is believed to have married Hannah Webb in 1845. They had three children:
- John Willliam Stranack. Born 1845
- William Stranack. Born 1845.
- Stephen Stranack. Born 1849
William Stranack died on 13 September 1849 at Margate.
So by 1851 Hannah Stranack was a 25 year old widow, a "lodging house keeper" living at 4 Union Crescent, St John the Baptist, Margate, with her three sons John, William and Stephen.
In 1861 William and Hannah's son John William Stranack was a 15 year old bookeeper, living with and working for Rebecca Fawkhurst, aged 28, a ladies outfitters at 72-74 Deansgate, Manchester. He was one of many servants at that or adjoining addresses all seemingly working for Rebecca. The census confirms that he was born in Margate. John William Stranack appears to emigrated to South Africa. He married Henrietta Stranack Garland on 18 June 1872 at Verulam, Natal, South Africa. Henrietta was the daughter Thomas William Garland and Henrietta Stranack. Henrietta was John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris, so this was a marriage of first cousins. John William and Henrietta Stranack had at least one son
- Thomas Theodore Stranack. Baptised 3 March 1887 in Durban.
John William Stranack died on 10 November 1905 and was buried on 11 November 1905 at Maitland Cemetery, Cape Town, South Africa . Henrietta Stranack died in 1925 in Grahamstown, South Africa.
William and Hannah's son William Stranack also appears to have emigrated to South Africa. He married Natalia Tysak on 1 October 1871 in Durban. They had one daughter
- Alice Fanny Stranack. Born 1873. Alice died on 3 July 1876 in Durban.
Natalia died in 1875. William remarried on 26 December 1876. His second wife was Elizabeth Jane Spencer. They had four children:
- Jessie Spencer Stranack. Born 8 April 1879 in Durban. Jessie married Sydney Attwood Shackle in 1924 in Marylebone. In 1930 they were living at 58 Clarence Gate Gardens. Jessie Spencer Shackle of 68 Clarence Gate Gardens died on 15 June 1974.
- Morris William Stranack. Born 27 June 1881. Baptised 12 December 1886 at Durban. Morris married Lucy Magdalene Poynton in 1906. On 30 September 1928, Morris and his wife Lucy crossed the border from US to Canada. Morris a 48 year old pharmist was resident in Shanghai, China and was in transit to China. Morris is believed to have died in 1940. His wife Lucy died in 1954.
- Lilian Webb Stranack. Born 23 April 1883. Baptised 12 December 1886 at Durban. Lilian married Frederick Carnaby Johnson Barker. Frederick had died by 1930.
- Whalley Seath Stranack. Born 22 August 1886. Baptised 12 December 1886 at Durban. Whalley married Mabel E Clare in 1916 in Marylebone. He was a dentist and had trained at Guy's Hospital qualifying in 1912, but by 1920 he was resident in Durban. He returned to the UK, arriving in Southampton on 3 January 1927. He returned to Durban and it was there he died in 1966.
So the family appear to have returned to England and it was here Elizabeth Jane Stranack of Khandallah, 2, The Grove, Isleworth (wife of William Stranack) died on 22 October 1917. Probate was granted to William Stranack, chemist, Jessie Spencer Stranack, spinster and Lillian Webb Barker (wife of Frederick Carnaby Johnson Barker). In 1919 William and his daughter Jessie were living at 2, The Grove, Isleworth. In 1930 he was living with his daughter Jessie and her husband Sydney at 58 Clarence Gate Gardens. William Stranack of 58 Clarence Gate Gardens, Regents Park died on 16 September 1930. Probate was granted to Jessie Spencer Shackle (wife of Sydney Attwood Shackle) and Lillian Webb Barker, widow.
Finally William and Hannah's son Stephen Stranack also emigrated to South Africa where he married Elisa Jane Tyzack on 22 March 1876 at her fathers residence in Mount Pleasant. Stephen and Elisa had five children:
- Alice Stranack. Born 22 January 1877
- Ethelbert Tyzack Stranack. Born 1878. Ethelbert married Flora Margaret MacDonald in 1911. They had two sons. Ethelbert died in 1946.
- Alice Mary Stranack. Born 1881
- William Garland Stranack. Born 14 December 1884. On 1 February 1897 he was admitted Maritzburg College, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa where he stayed until 30 June 1900. Lieutenant William Garland Stranack of 2nd South African Infantry died on 30 January 1916 and was buried at Alexandria (Chatby) Military Cemetery.
- Josephine Stranack. Born 1888
Stephen Stranack is believed to have died in 1932. Elisa Jane Stranack died in 1950.
- Jane Seath Fife nee Stranack
Jane Seath Stranack was baptised on 8 April 1821 at St John's, Margate, the daughter of John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris.
By 1851 she had married Thomas Fife, but was living with her parents at Paradise Street, Margate with her two year old daughter.
In 1861 she was living with her husband, 41 year old Thomas Fife, a master mariner at 16 New Street East, Bermondsey. Thomas Fife obtained his mates certificate of service on 30 January 1867. In 1871 they were living at 40 Upper George Street, Bermondsey. They had nine children:
- John Fife. Baptised 2 October 1846 at St Mary Magdelene, Bermondsey.
- Jane Fife. Baptised 30 July 1848 at St Mary Magdelene, Bermondsey.
- Elizabeth Fife. Baptised 14 April 1850 at St Mary Magdelene, Bermondsey.
- Henrietta Fife. Baptised 28 March 1852 at St Mary Magdelene, Bermondsey.
- Thomas Fife. Baptised 6 October 1854 at St Mary Magdelene, Bermondsey.
- William Stranack Fife. Baptised 3 May 1857 at St Mary Magdelene, Bermondsey.
- James Fife. Baptised 15 June 1859 at St Mary Magdelene, Bermondsey.
- Harry Fife. Baptised 7 July 1862 at St Mary Magdelene, Bermondsey.
- Herbert Fife. Baptised 31 July 1864 at St Mary Magdelene, Bermondsey.
In 1881 Jane was staying with her sister Elizabeth and her family at 1, 2 & 3 High Street, Broadstairs, Kent where her brother-in-law ran a butchers shop. Her son Harry, a 19 year old clerk is shown as "head of household" at 32 Upper Grange Road, Bermondsey which appears to be the family home. Sisters Elizabeth, Jane and brother Herbert, a 17 year old solicitors clerk are also listed.
In 1891 Thomas and Jane were both at 32 Upper Grange Road, Bermondsey. Thomas, aged 76 was a "mariner chief officer". Only daughter Jane, a 43 year old shoe trimmer remained at home.
In 1901 they were at 40 Upper Grange Road, where Thomas is now described as a "retired captain".
Jane Seath Fife died in 1903 in Bermondsey.
Nothing more is known about Thomas and Jane's daughter Elizabeth or their son James.
Thomas and Jane's son John Fife married Mary Ann in 1885. In 1891 Mary Ann is listed as "head of household" at 170 Spa Road, Bermondsey with her two children. In 1901 John and Mary Ann were both listed at 170 Spa Road, Bermondsey where 41 year old John was a master mariner. In 1911 they were still at Spa Road. John and Mary Ann had three children
- John Herbert Fife. Born 18 February 1887. Baptised 23 June 1889 at St Pauls, Deptford. John married Ethel Warran Muggeridge on 3 July 1915 at Woodside, Surrey. John Herbert Fife died in 1970.
- Mary E Fife. Born 1890 in Deptford.
- Elizabeth Maud Fife. Born 15 December 1891. Elizabeth married Albert Edward Killman on 3 July 1918 at St Crispin, Bermondsey. Elizabeth Maude Killman of Moorshill House Hotel, Rose Hill Street, Blazey Par, Cornwall died on 2 October 1976 in St Austell, Cornwall.
In 1911 Thomas and Jane's daughter Jane Fife, aged 62 was living at Oak Cottage, Hockley where she was a 62 year old pig farmer! Matilda Prudence Tuch was boarding with her, she too was a 63 year old pig farmer!
In 1871 Thomas and Jane's daughter Henrietta Fife was living with her aunt Elizabeth and her husband John Lacy Chapman (see below) at 2 High Street, Broadstairs. Kent. She was 19 years old and described as a visitor. Nothing more is known about her.
Thomas and Jane's son Thomas Fife married Alice Ann Gough on 17 June 1875 at St Peters, Walworth. Thomas was described as a 22 year old sailor, the son of Thomas Fife, deceased. Alice was 24 years old, the daughter of Thomas Gough, a deceased linen draper. In 1881 they were living in 15 Shaftesbury Street, Lambeth where 26 year old Thomas was a milk carrier. In 1891 they were living at 7 Shaftesbury Street. They had eight children:
- Alice I Fife. Born 1877 in Walworth.
- Thomas James Fife. Baptised 18 December 1878 at St Peters, Walworth. He married Amy Lily Channon on 25 December 1902 at St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey. They had three children.
- John William Fife. Born 1880 in Walworth
- Harry Percy Fife. Baptised 24 August 1881 at St Peter, Walworth. He married Maud Kate Bussey on 27 August 1904. They had three sons. Harry Percy Fife of 91 Inville Road, Walworth died on 20 June 1922 at Ministry of Pensions Hospital, Ruskin Park, Surrey. Administration was granted to Maud Kate Fife, widow.
- Herbert Stanley Fife. Born 1882 in Walworth. He married Eliza Jane King on 15 April 1911 at St Peters, Walworth. Herbert Stanley Fife died in 1916, aged just 32 years old. His widow appears to have emigrated to the USA on 14 May 1929, where she worked as a nurse. Eliza Jane Fife died on 23 June 1965 at El Dorado, California.
- Ellen Jane Fife. Born 1885 in Walworth.
- Ernest Robert Fife. Born 1887 in Walworth. Ernest married Louisa Marian McMahon on 25 December 1909 at St Mary Magdelene. They had a son, Ernest Fife, born in 1910. Louisa Marion Fife died in 1958.
- Frederick Arthur Fife. Born 12 July 1888. Baptised 3 August 1888 at St Peters, Mile End Old Town. Frederick married Florence Rebecca Gibbs on 29 June 1912 at St Stephen, Walworth. Florence Rebecca Fife died in 1969 in Basingstoke. Frederick Arthur Fife died in 1976 in New Forest, Hampshire
In 1901 the family were living at 24 Grimescott Street, Bermondsey. Thomas was a caretaker, his wife Alice, a county council clerk, son Thomas, aged 22, a printers warehouseman, John, aged 21 and Harry, aged 19 were apprentice compositors, Herbert, aged 17 was a clerk at the electrics works, daughter Ellen, aged 15 was a bookbinder and son Ernest, aged 14 was an errand boy. Thomas Fife died on 24 January 1911 at Southwark, Surrey and at the time that the census was taken his widow was living at 47, Worth Grove, Walworth with sons Herbert and Frederick, both general clerks.
Thomas and Jane's son, William Stranack Fife died in 1875 in Southwark.
Thomas and Jane's son, Harry Fife married Emily Morris on 8 March 1884 at North Brixton Christ Church.
Finally Thomas and Jane's son, Herbert Fife married Alice Ellen Herbert in 1888. In 1891 they were living at 58 Heber Road, Camberwell where 27 year old Herbert was a solicitor. In 1901 they were living at 18, Landcraft Road, Camberwell where he is now described as a clerk. Herbert and Alice had two children:
- Ellen Alice Fife. Born 1888 in Southwark.
- Leonard Herbert Fife. Born 10 June 1897. Leonard married Emily Ethel Wilkinson on 8 March 1920 at Herne Hill. Leonard sailed from Southampton to New York on 2 December 1922. Leonard Herbert Fife of St Anton, 20 Beech Road, Burton, Bridport died on 1 August 1975.
In 1911 the family is living at 333 Lordship Lane, East Dulwich where Herbert, aged 47 was a law clerk. His daughter Ellen, now 22 was a civil servant "a 2nd class woman clerk". Herbert Fife died on 25 August 1912 at Camberwell.
- Mary Elizabeth Gaskell nee Stranack
Mary Elizabeth Stranack was baptised on 29 June 1823 at St John's, Margate, the daughter of John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris.
Mary is believed to have married William John George Clare Gaskell in 1844.
In 1851 William and Mary were living at 26 Wolborough Street, Devon where 29 year old William was a master druggist employing 2 men and 1 apprentice.
In 1861 William and Mary were living at 59 Crookhartown, Cambrian Place, Cardiff where 39 year old William was a corn and commission merchant.
In 1871 they were living at 12 Windor Place, Cardiff where 49 year old William was a general commission merchant,
William and Mary are thought to have had eight children:
- William John Gaskell. Born 1845 in Margate, Kent
- Mary E Gaskell. Born 1848 in Margate, Kent
- Joseph J E Gaskell. Born 1850 in Newton Abbott, Devon.
- James Stranack Gaskell. Born 1851 in Newton Abbott, Devon
- John Seath Stranack Gaskell. Born 1853 in Woolborough, Devon
- Annie Bone Gaskell. Born 1855 in Newton Abbott, Devon.
- Ernest William Gaskell. Born 1857 in Cardiff
- Charles Alfred Gaskell. Born 14 September 1861 in Cardiff
In 1881 the family were living at 4 Beach Road, Penarth, where 59 year old William was a commission agent. William John George Clare Gaskell died in April 1881.
In 1891 Mary Elizabeth Gaskell was a 67 year old widow "living on her own means" at Woodlands, Penarth. Her daughter Annie B Gaskell was living with her, as was Annie G Gaskell, her 16 year old grand-daughter. Mary Elizabeth Stranack died in 1905 in Newport.
William and Mary's son William John Gaskell married Rachel Armytage in 1874 in Cardiff. In 1881 they were living at Hamilton Terrace, Steynton where William was a 36 year old architect and surveyor. According to their divorce papers, William and Rachel had four children:
- Amy Gertrude Gaskell
- William George Gaskell. Born 1877
- Alice Maud Gaskell. Born 1879
- Beatrice Mary Gaskell.
William divorced Rachel in 1882 on the grounds of her adultery. William John Gaskell late of Penarth, Glamorgan, architect died on 3 June 1883. His will was proved by Joseph Gaskell of Penarth, John Seath Stranack Gaskell of Newport, merchants and James Stranack Gaskell of Gravesend, civil engineer. Rachel Armytage died in 1892.
Nothing more is known about William and Mary's daughter Mary E Gaskell.
William and Mary's son Joseph Gaskell married Emily Mary Hill on 15 October 1874. In 1881 they were living at 1 Wondoor Road, Penarth. In 1891 they were living at The Coldra where Joseph was the managing director of a brewery. They had seven children:
- John Clare Gaskell. Born 9 July 1876 in Cardiff. John married Mary Henrietta Stranack. Mary may have been the daughter of James Stranack Gaskell and his wife Henrietta Helen (see below), making this a marriage of 1st cousins. John died on 3 April 1962 in East Glamorgan. Mary Henrietta Stranack Gaskell of Plasnewydd Cottage, Pentyrth died on 1 April 1979.
- Frank Hill Gaskell. Born 12 August 1878 in Cardiff. Frank married Violet Ann Catharine Charles in 1910. They had at least one son. Frank Hill Gaskell died on 17 May 1916 of wounds suffered whilst a Lieutenant Colonel in the Welsh Guard. He was buried in Merville Cemetary, Departement du Nord, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France. Probate was granted to Violet Ann Catharine Gaskell, widow. Violett Ann Gaskell died on 26 March 1956 in Glamorgan.
- Edith Mary Gaskell. Born 1881. Edith married Ivor Vincent Downing in 1905 in Cardiff. In 1946 they were living in Beverley, Llanishen.
- Grace Emily Gaskell. Born 1883 in Penarth. Grace married Arthur Percy Carey-Thomas in 1909 in Cardiff. They had one daughter, Rosemary Grace Carey-Thomas. Arthur Percy Carey-Thomas of Steynton, Lisvane, Glamorgan died on 21 June 1945 on war service. Probate was granted to Grace Emily Carey-Thomas and Geoffrey Whittall Gaskell, lieutenant colonel H.M. army. Grace Emily Thomas of 10 Branksome House, Castle Court, Westgate Street, Cardiff, widow, died on 10 May 1958 at 33, High Street, Eliena, Malta. Probate to Rosemary Grace Carey Anderson, widow and Frances Henry Gaskell, solicitor.
- Geoffrey Whittall Gaskell. Born 1885. Major Geoffrey Whittall Gaskell died in 1963 in Newton Abbott.
- Joseph Gerald Gaskell. Born 1885. Joseph married Eleanor Vaughan Thomas on 21 June 1910 in Cardiff. They had two children. Joseph Gerald Gaskell of Beverley, Station Road, Llanishen, died 9 January 1959. Probate to Joseph Gerald Gaskell and George Frederick Gerald Gaskell, company directors.
- Charles Clare T Gaskell. Born 1887. Charles died on 2 March 1966 in Victoria, British Columbia.
In 1901 the family were at living at the New House, Llanishen where 50 year old Joseph Gaskell was a managing director of a brewery company. In 1911 Joseph and his wife were staying at Hotel Grand Central, Marylebone. Joseph, aged 60 was described as a general manager in the brewery business. Emily Mary Gaskell of Dene Lodge, Palace Road, Llandaff died on 16 February 1938. Probate was granted to John Clare Gaskell, solicitor, Geoffrey Whittall Gaskalll, retired major H M Army and Joseph Gerald Gaskell, company director.
William and Mary's son James Stranack Gaskell married Henrietta Helen Sinclair on 5 June 1889 at Madras. They had two children
- Mary Henrietta Stranack Gaskell. Baptised 21 July 1890 in Culcutta. Mary is believed to have married her first cousin James Clare Gaskell (see above).
- David Lindsey Stranack Gaskell. Born 27 September 1893. Baptised 10 December 1893 at Chittagong, Bengal. Died 12 January 1916 at Robecq. The following is taken from "De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour, 1914-1919"
In 1891 James S Gaskell, a 39 year old structural engineer, his 23 year old wife and 9 month daughter were staying with James' brother Charles and his family at Alteryn House, St Woolos. In 1911 they were living at Hillcroft, Orpington where 59 year old James was a civil engineer. His wife Henrietta was 41 years old. Mary was 20 years old and is shown as having "private means". David Lindsey Stranack Gaskell is listed, but his name crossed out. Henrietta Helen Gaskell of Pine Neuk (wife of James Stranack Gaskell) died 24 March 1842. Probate said to James Stranack Gaskell A.M.I.C.E. James Stranack Gaskell of Pine Neuk, Eaton Road, Branksome Park, died on 29 January 1945 in Poole. Probate was granted to Royal Exchange Assurance, Mary Henrietta Stranack Gaskell (wife of John Clare Gaskell) and the said John Clare Gaskell, solicitor.
William and Mary's son John Seath Stranack Gaskell married Kathleen Damaris Pellgelley in 1882 in Newcastle Upon Tyne. In 1891 they were living at Court Blethine where John was a 37 year old brewer. In 1901 they were living in Colhugh, Newport where John, aged 47 was a managing director of a brewery. Alice W Madden, aged 28, their sister, John P Madden, aged 5, their nephew and Edith W Madden, aged 1, their neice were living with them. In 1911 they were living at Bridgend where John Seath Gaskell, aged 57 was a manager of a quarry and lime company. Dennis Pengilly Bennett, their 5 year old nephew was living with them. Kathleen Damaris Gaskell died in 1926 in Bridgend. John Seath Stranack of Edmondstone, Southerndene, Bridgend died on 10 February 1941. Probate was granted to John Charles Pengally Madden, Captain H M Army and John Clare Gaskell, solicitor.
In 1911 William and Mary's daughter Annie Bone Gaskell was living at The Lawn, Magor. Prior to that she had been living with her parents. Annie Bone Gaskell of Castle View, Caldicot, spinster died on 19 February 1942. Probate was granted to Winifred Mary Gertrude Gaskell, spinster.
- In 1881 William and Mary's son Ernest William Gaskell, a 23 year old mechanical engineer (hydraulic) was lodging with Allen H Garman, a 77 year old boot and shoe maker at 17, Wyvil Road, Lambeth. He married Isabella M. In 1891 they were living 32 Maxwell Drive, Kinning Park, Glasgow Govan, where 33 year old Ernest was a drawing office manager in engine and machine makers. Isabella at 40 years old was 7 years Ernest's senior. In 1901 they were still at 32 Maxwell Drive. Ernest sailed from Liverpool to New York arriving on 31 January 1907. It seems that he may have been enroute to Cuba. Ernest returned to Liverpool arriving in June 1907. Finally William and Mary's son Charles Alfred Gaskell married Bessie Trayes on 10 August 1886 at Penarth. In 1891 they were living at Alkrym House, St Woolos where 29 year old Charles was a secretary for a public company. Charles's brother James, his wife and daughter were staying with them (see above). In 1901 Charles and Bessie were still at Alkrym House. They had seven children:
- Charles Clare T Gaskell. Born 29 June 1887 in Cardiff. Emigrated 1907. Married Hulda. They had four children. Charles Clare T Gaskell died on 2 March 1966 at Victoria, British Columbia.
- Ivan James Gaskell. Born 1888 in Penarth. Ivan died in 1908 and was buried at Okotoks, Calgary Census Division, Alberta.
- Susan J Gaskell. Born 1889 in Penarth.
- Ernest Keith Gaskell. Born 26 November 1890 in Newport. Married Mildred Lewis in 1915 in Axbridge, Somerset. They had two children. Mildred Gaskell of Sealeys Farm, Pouldon (wife of Ernest Keith Gaskell) died on 19 February 1952. Probate was granted to the Reverand Canon Harold Bryant Salmon, clerk and George Alan Law Hatharell, sand contractor. Ernest Keith Gaskell died in 1977 in Taunton, Somerset.
- Edward Charles Sleigh Gaskell. Born 30 September 1893 in Newport. Emigrated 1910. Died 1984 and buried at St Andrews Cemetary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Frederick Stranack Gaskell. Born 1898 in Newport. Emigrated 1910.
- Betty Mary Gaskell. Born 1900 in Newport. Emigrated 1907. Betty died in 1922 in Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
- Henrietta Garland nee Stranack
Henrietta Stranack was baptised on 17 April 1825 at Margate, the daughter of John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris.
Henrietta Stranack married Thomas William Garland. They had a daughter:
- Henrietta Stranack Garland. Baptised 14 March 1852 at Durban.
Henrietta Garland died in 1897. Thomas William Garland died on 28 March 1899 at Verulam, India.
Thomas and Henrietta's daughter Henrietta Stranack Garland married John William Stranack on 18 June 1872 at Verulam, Natal, South Africa. John William Stranack was the son of William Stranack and Hannah Webb. William was Henrietta's brother, making this a marriage of first cousins. Their lives are detailed above.
- Ellen Stranack
Ellen Stranack was baptised on 22 June 1834, the daughter of John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris.
In 1871 Ellen was living with her sister Elizabeth and family at
Ellen Stranack appears to have never married and died in 1874, aged 40 years old.
- Elizabeth Stranack
Elizabeth Stranack was baptised on 22 April 1838 in Margate, daughter of John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris.
Elizabeth married John Lacy Chapman. They had nine children:
- Clara Ellen Chapman. Born 1859
- Minnie Chapman. Born 1865
- Frank Chapman. Born 1866
- George Chapman. Born 1866
- Arthur Chapman. Born 1871
- Richard Lacy Chapman. Born 1874.
- Elizabeth Chapman. Born 1877.
- Osman Chapman. Born 1877.
- Norman Stranack Chapman. Born 1882.
In 1871 John and Elizabeth were living at 2, High Street, Broadstowiles where John was a butcher employing 2 men and 2 boys. Elizabeth's sister Ellen, a 36 year old bookkeeper was living with them. As was her niece, Henrietta Fife, aged 15, a visitor.
- Robert Stranack and Mary A Steed
Robert Stranack was born in 1841 in Margate, the son of John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris.
In 1861 Robert was a 20 year old grocer living with his parents at Paradise Street, Margate.
Robert married Mary A Steed in 1866
Robert Stranack died in 1869 in Thanet.
- Frederick Stranack
Frederick Stranack was born in 1842 in Margate (Reg Gen March Qtr 1842 Thanet 5 462)the son of John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris.
In 1861 Frederick was a 19 year old grocer living with his parents at Paradise Street, Margate.
Nothing more is known about him.
Jeremiah Stranack & Sarah Dadd/
Elizabeth Ann Nunney
Jeremiah Stranack was baptised on 3 February 1828 at St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent, the son of John Seath Stranack and Henrietta Morris. He was my great x 2 grandfather.
At the time of the 1851 census Jeremiah, aged 23, was living with his parents and siblings at Paradise Street, St John's, Margate.
On 31 January 1854 Jeremiah Stranack married Sarah Dadd according to the rites and ceremonies of the Wesleyan Methodist Church at Hawley Square Chapel, Margate. Jeremiah Stranack is described as a 26 year old bachelor, a grocer of Paradise Street, Margate. His father was John Seath Stranack, harbour master. Sarah is described as a 27 year old spinster of Princes Street, Margate. Her father is John Dadd, painter. Both parties signed the marriage register. The witnesses were John and Mary Dadd (Reg Gen March Qtr Thanet 2a 735).
Sarah Dadd had been born on 7 June 1827 and baptised on 15 July 1827 and was baptised on 29 August 1827 at Hainley Square Chapel, Margate, the daughter of John Dadd and Elizabeth Emphtage. John and Elizabeth had married on 14 December 1819. In 1851, Sarah Dadd, a 23 year old dressmaker was a visitor at 3 Hawley Square, Princes Street. The head of the household and the only other occupant was Elizabeth Allen, aged 34, dressmaker.
In 1861 Jeremiah and Sarah were living at 10 Paradise Street, Margate Kent, both were 33 years old. Jeremiah's occupation was a 'Lord Wardens Officer'. Her parents and brother John S Stranack were living at the same address. They had a son Herbert John Dadd Stranack who had been born in 1855.
Herbert John Dadd Stanack died in 1862 in Thanet, Kent.
Sarah Stranack died in 1864 (Reg Gen Dec Qtr 1864 Thanet 2a 43)
On 25 January 1866 Jeremiah Stranack married Elizabeth Ann Nunney at St Giles in the Field Parish Church. (Reg Gen March Qtr 1866 St Giles 1b 582). Jeremiah is described as a 38 year old widower, a grocer of 8 South Crescent. His father is John South Stranack, harbour master. Elizabeth is a 26 year old spinster from 235 Tottenham Court Road, the daughter of Thomas Frederick Nunney, publican. Both parties signed the marriage register. The witnesses were William Barrett and Georgina Weake.
Jeremiah and Elizabeth had five children:
- William Wood Stranack. Born 1868
- Elizabeth Henrietta Stranack. Born 1869
- Thomas Lacy Stranack. Born 1870 (Reg Gen June Qtr 1870 Thanet 2a 791). Died in 1872 aged 2 (Reg Gen Dec Qtr 1872 Thanet 2a 431)
- Elgie Clara Stranack. Born 11 August 1871 in Margate
- Louise Stranack. Born 1873. Died 1875 in Thanet.
By 1871 Jeremiah and his family were living at 25 Fort Road, Margate. The entry reads
- Jeremiah Stranack, head, aged 43, shipping agent, born Margate
- Elizabeth Stranack, wife, aged 31 , born Clerkenwell
- William Stranack, son, aged 3, born Margate, Kent
- Elizabeth Stranack, daughter, aged 2, born Margate
- Thomas Stranack, son, aged 1, born Margate
- Elizabeth Rowe, servant, aged 14
Jeremiah Stranack died on 2 February 1873 at 25 Fort Road, Margate aged 45. He is described as a shipping agent. The cause of death is 'acute hepatitis' 4 days, suppuration commencing on 1st day, syncope fatal. (Reg Gen March Qtr 1873 Thanet 2a 494). The informant was Susanna Stranack, present at death, but resident at 8 Zion Place, Margate. The death was registered on 4 February 1873.
It is not clear who Susanna Stranack is. In 1871 she is living at 8 Zion Place, Margate and the entry reads
- Susannah Stranack, head, widow, aged 49, lodging house keeper, born Margate
- Mary Read, sister, unmarried, aged 43, dressmaker, born Margate
- Elizabeth Fuller, aunt, widow, aged 86, born Sturry, Kent.
There is no trace of Susannah in the 1881 census. In both 1891 (aged 67) and 1901 (aged 77) she is living alone at the Drapers almshouses in Margate. Susanna Stranack died in 1909 aged 86 (Reg Gen Sept Qtr 1909 Thanet 2a 497). Going back further in 1861 she is shown as living alone, but at aged 39 she is still married. Her occupation is given of that of letter carrier. This contradicts what the 1851 census tells us. This contains the most useful information. The entry for Paradise Street includes
- Susanna Stranack, head, widow, aged 20, lodging house keeper
- John Leath (possibly Seath) Stranack, son, aged 2, born Margate
- James William Stranack, son, aged 11 months, born Margate
- Elizabeth Pearce, sister, aged 21, assistant to family.
I would suggest Susanna is clearly part of the family, but how is she related?
In 1881 Jeremiah's widow and children was still living at 25 Fort Road, Margate. The entry reads
- Elizabeth A Stranack, head, widow, aged 41, lodging house keeper, born Clerkenwell
- William W Stranack, son, aged 13, scholar, born Margate (see below)
- Elizabeth H Stranack, daughter, aged 11, born Margate
- Eglie C Stranack, daughter, aged 9, scholar, born Margate
- William H Bennett, boarder, aged 24, clerk to wine merchants, born Alton.
By 1891 Elizabeth A Stranack, aged 50 is living at 21 Fort Road, Margate. She is described as a lodging house keeper. The only person living with her at the time was her daughter Elizabeth H Stranack, aged 21, a telegraphist.
Our line continues through Jeremiah and Elizabeth's son William Wood Stranack, my great grandfather and his life is detailed below.
But first the following is known about his siblings:
- Elizabeth Henrietta Stranack
Elizabeth Henrietta Stranack was born in 1869, the daughter of Jeremiah Stranack and Elizabeth Ann Nunnery.
In 1891 Elizabeth Henrietta Stranack was a 21 year old telegraphist living with her mother at Fort Road. It appears she had started work for the Post Office in 1885 (British Postal Service Appointment books).
In 1911 Elizabeth H Stranack was a 41 year old sorting clerk and telegrapher living alone at 142 Northdown Road, Margate.
Elizabeth Henrietta Stranack of 6 Wyndham Avenue, Margate, spinster died on 5 November 1936 at Margate and District Hospital. Probate was granted to Charlotte Storer Vickers, spinster and Frank Holder, civil servant.
The family have a piano stool given to Elizabeth seemingly on her retirement from the post office as well as a desk inherited by her niece Alice Emma Stranack.
- Eglie Clara Alderton nee Stranack
Elgie Clara Stranack was born on 11 August 1871 in Margate, the daughter of Jeremiah Stranack and Elizabeth Ann Nunnery.
In 1891 Eglie is boarding at High Street, Reigate with Rebecca E Durban, aged 50 who runs a fancy shop and her niece and assistant 19 year old Emily Heathfield. At the time Eglie was described as a post office clerk.
Eglee Clara Stranack married Austin John M Alderton in 1899 (Reg Gen March Qtr 1899 Reigate 2a 233).
Austin Alderton was born around 1866 (Reg Gen Sept Qtr 1866 Blean Kent 2a 623), the son of Randall Alderton and Mary Ann Quarterman who married in 1857. Randall had been a police constable according to the 1871 census but he had died in 1876 aged 45 (Reg Gen June Qtr 1876 2a 429). Mary is described as a Milliner and dressmaker in 1871 but she appears to have died by 1881 when Austin's 23 brother Frederick is shown as the head of the household.
In 1901 Austin Alderton, aged 34 and a butcher working on his own account and he and Eglee were living at Upper Abbey Road, Erith, Kent.
In 1911 they were living at 23 Summerhill Road, Dartford where 44 year Austin was a clerk. They had three children:
- Constance Mary Alderton, Born 1901 in Belverdere, Kent
- Randall Frederick Alderton, Born 8 December 1902 in Belverdere, Kent
- Edward Lacy Alderton. Born 17 January 1908 in Summerhill Road, Dartford
Also lodging with them was 24 year old Adelaide Eliza Aldis, who was an elementary school teacher.
Elgie Clara Alderton died in 1934. Austin John Mackay Alderton of 18 Summerhill Road, Dartford died on 18 June 1939. Probate was granted to Randall Frederick Alderton, sales manager.
Austin and Elgie's daughter Constance Mary Alderton had died on 17 November 1928 at St Georges, Hanover Square.
Austin and Elgie's son Randall Frederick Alderton is listed on the electoral register at 1 Hill Road Mitcham, with his wife Margaret. Randall died on 23 June 1967.
Finally Austin and Elgie's son Edward Lacy Alderton married Beryl Violet Eglington on 16 October 1937. They had at least one son John Lacy Alderton who was born on 2 April 1938 and was baptised on 16 October 1938. At the time they were resident at 3 Lonsdale Flats, Highstead Road, Rondebosch, Cape Town. On 24 February 1958 they arrived in Southampton from South Africa. Edward was a bank official and they gave their address as 14 Devonshire Gardens, Chiswick. They had previously been resident in South Africa and were intending to stay in the UK for three months. Edward Lacy Alderton died on 16 February 1976 in Cape Town, South Africa. In 1989 Beryl Violet Alderton was a 77 year old housewife living at Disa Place 70, Orange Street, Gardens, Kaapstad, South Africa. Her son John Lacy Alderton was a 51 year old civil servant living at 102 Kruinsig, 331 Glenwood Drive, Faerie Glen, P.O. Box 1232, Faerie Glen, Transvaal, Pretoria.
William Wood Stranack & Alice Rumney
William Wood Stranack was born in 1868, the son of Jeremiah Stranack and Elizabeth Ann Nunnery.
In 1871 and 1881 he was living first with his parents and then his widowed mother at Margate.
There is no trace of him in the 1891 census.
On 11 November 1900 William Wood Stranack married Alice Rumney at St Peters, Bethnal Green. William who aged 32 was eight years his brides senior. He gives his occupation as a clerk, as does his father. Alice's father Thomas Rumney is a traveller. The witnesses were Thomas Rumney and Ada Rumney. Below is an extract of the parish register showing the participants signatures.
Alice Rumney's ancestry is considered at Appendix I
At the time of the 1901 census the family were living at 100 Brunswick Road, Bromley. The entry reads
- William Stranack, head, aged 33, clerk, born Margate, Kent
- Alice Stranack, wife, aged 24, born Hackney, London
- Elizabeth Elsie Stranack, aged 1 month, born London Popular
William and Alice's eldest daughter Elizabeth Elsie Stranack had been born on 20 February 1901 and baptised on 30 March 1901 at St Peters, Bethnal Green.
William and Alice's second daughter, Alice Emma Stranack born on 27 May 1904 (Reg Gen June Qtr 1904 Luton 3b 390). At the time of Alice's birth they were living at 69 Adelaide Street, Luton, Beds. William describes himself as a commercial traveller.
Alice Stranack died on 12 January 1912 aged 35 years old. at 6 Almack Road, Clapton (Reg Gen March Qtr 1912 Hackney 1b 500). The cause of death is given as tuberculosis. The informant was H H Rumney, her brother (presumably Horace) who was present at death.
After their mother's death it is believed that Elizabeth went to live with relatives whereas Alice was sent to an orphanage.
William and Alice's daughter Elizabeth Elsie Stranack married Thomas Frederick Hurford in 1921 in Croydon.
They had two daughters
- Irene Constance Hurford. Born 1922 in Croydon. Irene married Bernard Eden in 1944 in Croydon. Irene died on 28 September 2014.
- Patricia P Hurford. Born 1926 in Croydon. Patricia married Jean B Pinel-La France in 1945 in Croydon.
In 1939 Elizabeth E Stranack was a kitchen maid living and working at Fostury (?) Training College, Church Missionary, Manor Park Road, Chislehurst & Sidcup. She is shown as married, but neither her husband or children are listed. Thomas F Hurford may have been living at 120 Sutherland Road, Croydon where he was a general labourer. He is also shown as married, but his wife is not listed. Thomas F Hurford may have died in 1947 (Reg Gen Dec 1947 Croydon 5g 93) Elizabeth Hurford died in 1978 in Croydon (Reg Gen Dec 1978 Croydon 11 1878).
William and Alice's daughter Alice Emma Stranack went into service and in her early 20's was working at Tilton, Catsfield. She met and after an eight year courtship married William Douglas Veness on 9 March 1929 at Ninfield Parish Church. (Reg Gen March Qtr 1929 Hailsham 2b 181) (Chapter 13)